Boys brigade - Does it still exist?

-----------

johnpm,----------- regarding your thread 23/2/09 on ian raynolds death,

just been looking at one of your photo`s of the boys in jersey.

Was that ian raynolds stood up on the left with the check shirt, did you know

how old he was at that time. bye. :confused:

Hi Brian, I think this may be the photo you mean

jersey1960.jpg

Yes its Ian on the left.The photo was taken in 1961. I think Ian was born in 1943 a year before me. Here are a few more taken at St Helier camp :

1956:

jersey1956.jpg

1960:

Jersey1960a.jpg

1961:

Jersey1961.jpg

John

I can tell you why we dont go on marches anymore.

Okay, firstly my names abbey, I used to go to 25th company ( hatfield houselane girls brigade) and we used to go on parade with firthpark ( my Gb leader told me all this) we no longer parade as it will be 'to much hassle' as we would have to close all the roads, get police involved ect,ect, so tbh, its not our fault, just the lazy-ness of the leaders, thus I quit.

Hi Mikeybaby - do you remember the 3 Burton Boys who went to Hallam Methodist BB? I used to sell glasses of ginger Beer (1d a glass) for brigade funds. Everyone had ginger beer plants at that time so we had gallons of the stuff. It seemed to go down well with the lads after playing games etc.

Hi Mikeybaby - do you remember the 3 Burton Boys who went to Hallam Methodist BB? I used to sell glasses of ginger Beer (1d a glass) for brigade funds. Everyone had ginger beer plants at that time so we had gallons of the stuff. It seemed to go down well with the lads after playing games etc.

Would they be the ones who lived on the end of Pendeen, big into athletics?

Have you joined the Stedfast Association for former BB members?

It was launched/formed in London back in 1983 at the Royal Albert Hall as part of the BB Centenary of that year. London Stedfast has around 1000 members and is the largest of the UK branches (branches overseas too).

It's open to men, women, whether they were in the BB in London or elsewhere and they produce a fantastic glossy (part in colour) magazine 3 times a year........... more information on Stedfast can be found on my site which was recently launched at BoysBrigadeFormerMembers.BTCK.co.uk

I actually had the pleasure of meeting up with a famous ex BB boy recently - Legendary Keyboard Wizard - Rick Wakeman .....details/photo on the site

I was in a Co that met at Creswick church off Yew Lane in the 60s ,can't recall the number Do remember doing all the badges and there being some sort of Oath at the meetings .Also a big sportsday in the grounds of a big house ? Also remember got dissalusiondwith it when the guy who ran it said his own son had beaten me at something when it was obvious to all I had won ,don't seem to fit in with the honesty and truth ethos we were being preached

The Wesleyan Chapel on Plantation something in Heeley. Does it still exist ?

The BB taught us to be 'good lads' with no nonsense ! Perhaps something we could do with today ! A favour it did me was to cure me for life of camping and wshing in cold water !!

Bob.

The BB is now 125 years young !!

Hope the Celebration events in Sheffield went well.

On Teesside we had a wonderful Celebration and Dedication service yesterday for the whole Battalion . We are a small battalion but with GB support and having invited ex-officers there, we filled Stockton Baptist Tabernacle with around 800 people (inc the church's usual congregation).

All the boys were presented with a 125 buttonhole badge and a New Testament. Current staff and ex staff who attended all got button hole badges.

All in all a day to remember !

John

Hi John 'Stedfastman' here........ although 2 years has passed by since 125th there is some footage at BoysBrigadeFormerMembers.BTck.co.uk of the big event I was joint organiser of (on 31st May 2008) when 3500 people attended a day long event at The Historic Dockyard , Chatham. The event had 3 official areans which had different items in them running similtaneously.... including 11 BB/Stedfast bands of differing genre and finished with all particpants in a grand tattoo and Sounding of Retreat ceremony.

In 2013 I am thinking about organising something similar for London Stedfast's 30th (ex BB members Association) and BB's 130th.... if I can find a suitable venue....