Boys brigade - Does it still exist?

Hi and greetings to all those ex Boys' Brigade (BB) members that use this forum. If you are not already aware ' The Bugles & Drums of The Stedfast Association' a massed band comprising of around 60 ex BB Boys (and a few wives) from all over the UK, will be travelling to Belgium on 29th August 2014 for a mini band tour. The band is travelling to Belgium to mark the 100th Anniversary of the outbreak of WW1 to honour the tens of thousands of BB members who served in WW1, many giving their lives at Flanders and Somme.

Did you know that it has been estimated that over 100,000 BB members 'signed up' for the Kings Shilling in the first few months of WW1 alone........... and that so many were boys from Glasgow enlisted, the Scottish Light Infantry, named one of their Battalion's 'The Boys' Brigade Battalion'.

Full details of the bands tour (as known at present) can be found on their web site by 'googling' their name.

Please tell other ex BB folk you may know!

Regards

David Kemp - Founder of the Band (back in 2000) and former Management Committee Member of London Stedfast Association for ex BB Boys, formed 1983 at the Royal Albert Hall as part of BB Centenary Celebrations.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi all on the Boys' Brigade - Does it still exist? thread.

On Saturday 8th November 2014 'The Bugles & Drums of The Stedfast Association' (BADOTSA) will be making their third appearance in the annually televised - BBC1 TV - Lord Mayor's Show Parade in the City of London.

The band comprises of ex Boys's Brigade members from all over the UK and one who now resides in Germany, together with a sprinkling of wives and ex Girls' Brigade members.

The band was formed in 2000 by myself, before I handed over the running of the band to the current National Coordinator in 2010. Previous appearances in the parade were in 2006 and 2009.

This appearance will follow hot on to a 60 strong band including 4 pipers who will travel to Belgium at the end of August to play at the Menin Gate War Memorial and at the main square in Ypres both on 30th & 31st August to commemorate the thousands of BB members who served in WW1 especially those who did not make it back home.

You can follow what the band is up to band by searching - BADOTSA or the bands full name

I was in the boy's brigade many years ago some thing like 0 years ago, and to my shame I can't remember a thing about it, the only thing I do remember was marching through the streets of gleadless valley to graves park were we would join up with other troops or what ever we were called I thought it had disappeared into the ether. shame really as it may give kids some think todo with their evenings f

Is this the same Terry Eckersley who has the website TerryEckersley.co.uk? I've looked him up and some say that he has conned people over the years and he is now doing the rounds in Sheffield. He's approached me and says he's doing God’s work but sounds more like he is swindling people.

I would be interest to hear from anyone else who has had a bad experience with this fellow.

• 4 weeks later...

Whole thing is:

There's an emblem fair that is known to all

A sign to help us through,

It stands for strength & it stands for right,

An Anchor tried & true.

The emblem of The Boys' Brigade,it helps us on our way,

our fathers knew in days gone by, this sign we know today,

"Sure & Stedfast" the Brigade Boys motto clear,

thats our watchword when trouble & trials are near

Sure & Stedfast to the flag that flies above,

In all that we do, we try to be true to the Anchor that we love.

Its on YouTube at

• 5 months later...

Hi to all those who were in the BB (Boys' Brigade).

In August 2014 and then again on Saturday 8th November 2014; former members of the 5th Halifax BB Coy, pareded as part of The Bugles & Drums of The Stedfast Association (National ex BB members Association); firstly in Ypres Belgium, to honour those of the BB who served in WW1, then in the annually televised Lord Mayor's Show in London.

The band for the Lord Mayor's Show was the biggest ever paraded since it was formed in 2000; with over 70 band members taking part.

The ex BB Boys from Halifax (Elland) joined up with people from all over the UK, including Scotland and Norther Ireland, together with band members from Guernsey (CI) and Germany.

The Band seek further members (men or ladies, as some 'ex GB' have joined the band too) aged 18+ especially buglers!

You can find out more by either googling BBFormerMembers.btck.co.uk or StedfastAssociationBugleBand.btck.co.uk

Hi I was in the 14th Handsworth around 40 years ago our leader at the time was a man called Mr bowers his son was also a member , loved to go camping at winthorpe Skegness for the week also remember the darnall branch leader was a Mr dean good times and some good memories playing football ect:)