Strange stone found - any ideas what it is?

I was looking for mushrooms recently in the local woods, and came across a stone buried amongst some brambles. I could only see the curved top and thought it was an old coping stone from the top of a wall.

I dug it out and was surprised to find that it is a cylindrical stone, not a walling relic at all.

It's made of millstone grit and has a diameter of 14". In depth, it's about 10". The sides are completely flat, and it's circular. Obviously hand-chiselled, it has a hole about 2.5" square through the centre. Around the middle of the circumference is a groove about 1/2" wide and deep. It's a reddish colour as if the stone has been in a fire.

It seems too small to be a millstone and has no grooves on the flat faces, and I can't see why it would have a groove around the outside. I was wondering if it could have been some sort of roller. It obviously had a drive-shaft set into the square hole.

Anyway, I'm posting the details on here to see if anyone recognises the description.

I found it almost totally buried in Carr Wood, close to the ruins of Lees Hall Farm and Cockshutt Farm; it could have come from either one of those, or even from Lees Hall itself. :confused:

Some wooden farm buildings were built on short stone pillars with a round domed circle on top of the pillars, these looked a bit like a mushroom and were designed to stop rats climbing up into the barn, as they couldn't get around the circular bit on the top,

It sounds like you might have found one of those top parts.

It's obviously a relic from the elder world, Yog-Sothoth ...

At the time you found it was there a gibbous moon hanging in a sky racked with flying clouds and could you hear strange eldritch moanings and chitinous scrabblings at all?

Lol. Ah yes. I shall go out into the eldritch woods and utter the words of the Necronomicon and recite the Pnakotic texts, and summon a shoggoth. Even now, the stone calls me, drawing me so I can open the gates for...those who wait beyond....even now, I hear their flabby claws tearing and scraping at the other side, in the outer darkness, waiting for the stars to come right for their return! Oh hang on, sorry, it's just the cat.

I think it could be a small grindstone.

The 'groove' around the circumference might be to stop ground grain / meal being lost on to the ground.

Apart from that, something left behind by the Great Old Ones does seem possible. :)

Part of a treddle of some kind? The square suggests that it had a square shaft, and the dip round the circumference suggests a drive belt. I suspect it's part of the mechanism of foot operated machinery of some kind - perhaps a potter's wheel, grindstone or similar.

Part of a treddle of some kind? The square suggests that it had a square shaft, and the dip round the circumference suggests a drive belt. I suspect it's part of the mechanism of foot operated machinery of some kind - perhaps a potter's wheel, grindstone or similar.

Ahhh...have I misunderstood where the groove was?

Oops.....I think I'm 90' out with where it is - I thought it was around the circumference on the flat surface rather than on the 'edge', so to say.

D'OH! Your explanation makes good sense!

Archived