Strange stone found - any ideas what it is?

if its circular with the centre slightly higher then its a quern stone for corn grinding by hand, if its circular with grooves from the centre to the edge its the same, if its circular with no grooves its probably a grinding wheel for small edged tools such as scythes and axes

there were dozens of them on wharncliffe edge,i saw them many years ago after the edge had caught fire and revealed them,nice find..:thumbsup:

thats the one..;) we were climbing up there and saw lots of the stones in the grass,sadly many were split in two

i did read that wharncliffe got its original name from the making of these stones,it was ,years ago, known as querncliffe. seems feesable.

The Mrs is going to post a link to a piccie when she's taken one.

Not a roller I think, due to the size of the square 'drive' hole. Maybe a grindwheel though. Definitely not a millstone or quern.

To make it clear, the groove runs around the middle of the curved outer surface of the cylinder. Imagine the groove around the middle of the tread on some tyres. The end surfaces are flat, though you can make out some chisel marks. Whole thing weighs maybe 60-70kg.

As it's near to the ruins of two old farms, I suspect that the suggestion of a grindstone, probably hand or foot-operated, for sharpening billhooks, slashers etc, is correct. There are plenty of old, laid hedges nearby, and I expect people were using tools like those until about 50 years ago or thereabouts. A sharpening stone would make sense on Lees Hall farm, which was the farm serving the large and once very important Lees Hall. It would have been a big and wealthy farm, just the sort to have fancy accoutrements like grindstones. Cockshutt Farm was, I think, a more traditional, relatively poor farm, and less likely to have such stuff.

Thank you for the photographs. I've noticed these types of mill stones many times, but never got to know what they are precisely for. I trust that someone will step forward and share their knowledge.

Archived