Strange stone found - any ideas what it is?

Ok, most people would've just gone down t'greengrocers :)

There are plenty of edible and good tasting fungi (mushrooms) that you wont see or find available in any of our greengrocers shops or supermarkets.

I would say that's what Yog Sothoth was looking for in the woods.

m&p

Yep. Even at this time of year there are some species you can find that are worth eating. Oddly enough though, the woods near us in Sheffield aren't nearly as productive as the woods back where I come from on the outskirts of Leeds. Maybe all the centuries of heavy pollution have taken their toll; I think fungi are very sensitive to atmospheric and soil-borne pollutants.

Chicken-of-the-woods (Polyporus sulphureus) is common though.

i would say you have the bottom half of a corn grinding mill,the cut grooves direct the milled flour to the collection area as the stones go around,the groove around the edge is probably there to hold a drive belt

heres a similar one,just have to scroll down to find it

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jdcollectorspage.com/images/Millstone3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jdcollectorspage.com/unknown.html&h=360&w=480&sz=39&hl=en&start=12&um=1&tbnid=KoEjEg8_ItIlfM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dold%2Bcorn%2Bmill%2Bstone%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B2GGFB_enGB245GB245%26sa%3DG

Hmmm...maybe, but it seems a bit small for that. Millstones are usually bigger in diameter. The "cut grooves" you refer to aren't actually there; it's an illusion caused by the snow. There are a few very faint chisel marks but nothing like the precise grooves you'd see on a proper millstone. Could have been worn down I guess.

My feeling is that it was some sort of grindstone or roller, mounted horizontally on a square shaft. That's just a guess though.

Hmmm...maybe, but it seems a bit small for that. Millstones are usually bigger in diameter. The "cut grooves" you refer to aren't actually there; it's an illusion caused by the snow. There are a few very faint chisel marks but nothing like the precise grooves you'd see on a proper millstone. Could have been worn down I guess.

My feeling is that it was some sort of grindstone or roller, mounted horizontally on a square shaft. That's just a guess though.

How was the square hole made exactly at the centre?

If it was a grindstone it would have to be exact or it would burst.

Yep. Even at this time of year there are some species you can find that are worth eating. Oddly enough though, the woods near us in Sheffield aren't nearly as productive as the woods back where I come from on the outskirts of Leeds. Maybe all the centuries of heavy pollution have taken their toll; I think fungi are very sensitive to atmospheric and soil-borne pollutants.

Chicken-of-the-woods (Polyporus sulphureus) is common though.

Poulete de la bois(i think) first tasted them after picking them in France.Delicious.Did not realise you could get them here.

A bench-top grinder usually has 2 grindstones - 1 rough and 1 smooth. Could it be that this is a dual grindstone and had 2 types of surface, 1 for grinding and 1 for edging. I could be dead wrong but it's a possibility.

At 60 or 70 Kgs in weight how did you get it home?

Archived