Quiet pubs

Guest bostonaire

Agree about Fat Cat. I like it but the main bar [the more interesting room] is a complete smoke box. The non-smoking room has no bar and so seems isolated from 'the action'. Also Gardeners Rest - the beer always has far too big bubbles on it and consequently no head retention. What good is that in a real ale pub in the north? Same in the Cask and Cutler - which is actually too quiet and rather unnerving.

For quietish pubs with proper well kept beer and not too much of a smoke problem I recommend:

Centrally: Kelham Island Tav, Bath Hotel, Rutland, Red Lion, Red Deer [after the post-work mob have gone home]. In S6: Hillsbro Hotel, New Barrack Tav.

Originally posted by nitelife40

does anyone know any nice quiet non smoking pubs in sheffield .that are very quiet most nights?

Starting at the Hillsborough hotel, I recommend going down to the Gardeners Rest, then the Fat Cat and end up in the conservatory at the Kelham. Very nice stroll. If you fancy going a bit further, there is the Riverside, but I tend to stop at the Kelham.

Of all of them, I frequent the Hillsborough Hotel the most. Usually Tuesday for the quiz and Thursday for the 'nothing doing' night. Beer is great, with in house beer available as well as many guest ales.

There's a big sign outside the Pheonix at Ridgeway declaring that it's a no smoking pub. Last time I was in (about 3 years ago) it had lost it's soul though and the food was overcooked freezer rubbish with a high price tag. Has it changed yet?

The Phoenix is a no smoking pub, and the food's not bad (lovely Sunday lunch served until about 9pm I think) plus full menu.

It wasn't that busy when we went in though, and was quite cold inside, even though we sat right next to the open fire - we still struggled to warm up! I suppose if the place was fuller, you wouldn't notice the chill so much.

It's a nice enough place, with traditional fittings (wooden beams and stuff) but the atmosphere was missing - maybe we just went in on a bad night (or a night when the heating had broken down?)

Archived