The Walker family of Grimesthorpe Road

cisco

• 1 month later...
Hi, I'm looking for relatives of a Florrie Walker - she was housekeeper to my Grandad Michael Franchetti - lived at 27 Manners Street - off Rutland Road up until his death in 1956. Grandad was 76 - think Florrie was older. Ring a bell with anyone?

no sorry i dont know a person called florrie walker

cisco

I believe i knew the walker family. I did most of my school years with their son , Freddie . Freddies dad died sometime in the early fifties and I think he had a buisness of some sort. There were two or three others, atleast one sister and I think two brothers. Freddies mum liked corgi dogs and there was always one around. both Freddie and I attended Burngreave boys school and were good friends until we left. Freddie left at christmas 1952 and I left at easter 1953 and I don`t think we ever met again. One thing is Freddie went to work for British rail .

• 3 years later...

Hi there - I am not sure if it is the same family we are talking about as my connection is quite early on.

My husbands grandfather and famly lived at 843 Grimesthorpe Road after the first world war until about 1937 when they moved to the manor.

There were several children - John Alfred (Alf), Florence Alice Elizabeth who married an Herbert Edward Spiers in 1922, William Edward b 1904 my late father in law, Bertha Elsie who married a Fred Gilbertson, later a Robert Daniels and lastly an Arthur Pratt, Robert Arthur who died there in 1921 aged 11, Winifred emily, Arnold George b 1919 and Edith b there in 1922 died 1927.

Their father was William Henry and he had served in the war plus he had been a soldier before the war - they had previously lived in Zion Lane, Attercliffe.

I have been googling 843 Grimesthorpe Road but it shows up at the Earl Marshel Hotel and further up the road is the school so it is possible theylived in a house that is no longer there?

Any help, information or memories will be apprecaited.

Thanks

Dorothy

Hi dorothymwalk - welcome to the Forum!.:). No 843 was on the north side of Grimesthorpe Road, opposite the junction with Botham Street. Most of the properties in the area were demolished in the 1970s, but I have arrowed the location of No 843 on this 1914 map. Here is an aerial view from bing.com showing the area as it is now.

Edited by hillsbro