The Walker family of Grimesthorpe Road

cisco

does any one remember the walker family of grimesthorpe road in the 40s-60s lived next door to the vicarage

Its got to have been Dean Walkers grandparent ? the Walkers moved up to shirecliffe or southy green area the rest of us finished up around firth park:hihi:

Thanks you guys that is great - I had sat yesterday afternoon looking at pictures in the Sheffield Library web site that showed properties and numbers, consulted old Maps c1905 and looked on Google earth view and guessed it was about where you told me - so that is great.

Thank you for the map I have now saved that.

With regard to Florence - the family lived at that address from about 1920 to 1934 when they moved upto Manor Top - Babington Close. Later at least William and Alice moved to Harris Road in Hillsborough and their children were scattered around Sheffield.

I am not aware of any children called Dean. The boys in the family where John Alfred Henry (Alf) who married Edith Capes and they lived in Attercliffe - they had a daughter Joan who currently lives up Hull way but was living in Chapel Lane (leading to the Weslyn Church that fronted on to Attercliffe Common - just past Boots and the doctors surgery).

William Edward (my father in law) lived away from home in Lincolnshire for a while and was at some stage in London but was with his parents as late as 1939 and by about 1945 was in William Street, which is off Ecclesall Road.

Arnold George married Joan Great and they had a daughter Judith and son Ian. The son Ian married Niki Arnold and they had two children in 1981 and 1983.

So not sure where Dean would fit in.

I do know that one of the daughters had a child before she married - Ronald Walker b 1935 and he married and had a son Steven - so once more no Dean.

What time period are we talking about Florence being a housekeeper? I think it may not be this the lady on my tree and I believe she was living with her parents up to her marriage in 1922 but still possible - what do you think??

Thanks again

Dorothy

Thanks for that it really helped and confirmed the area I thought they were at - tried to get photos of those house but only managed the backs of houses that backed onto Cyclops Street but that is better then nothing.

Trying to get a family history story on William Henry together so your map was great.

thanks

Dorothy

Thanks for that - I was going on some electoral roll entries that I fellow researcher sent me some years back - I do have Florence at 1932/33 TO 1973 AT 75 Stranground Road and then in 1987-1988 AT 33 Jaunty Ave which is actually very near where my brother lives at present.

I am back into this research after having a very big break so getting it upto date

Do you know or are you related to the Spiers? I have five children to them and have marriages for three of them but need to double check these. Started in 1984 but had a big break between 1999 and 2004 so do not have all the information that is out there. I do love to place people in the city though.

Thanks again

Dorothy

dorothymwalk yes i am related to Alice and Herbert Spiers they are my parents.

I think you may be getting a bit mixed up with my brother and his wife as to living at 33 Jaunty Ave it was Arther Edward(TED)Spiers and his wife Ellen that lived there with their three children not my parents.

When they moved from Stanground Road they moved to Beaumont Cresent where they lived until they died

Thanks for that lemon and lime - I received the Jaunty Ave information from a fellow researcher quite a few years ago now and took it as gospel as being in New Zealand I obviously could not check the electoral rolls.

I am at this very moment looking at the Spiers family whilst I am sorting out the descendents of William Henry and Alice Walker who lived in Grimethorpe Road.

If you want more details about family history for them drop me a note on mariposaw@hotmail.com and I will get back to you.

Thanks

My grandmothers maiden was Walker.

Nans name was Annie & she had 2 sisters Olive & Florence & a brother George.

Their parents were James & Florence Walker. I can dig out the family tree later but without that I have no idea of dates.

The grimesthorpe connection means nothing to me & I'd be surprised to find my ancestry goes back to there. But someone on this thread has mentioned Florence and Hillsborough and that certainly corroborates with my great grandma's history.

• 4 years later...