The Hen & Chickens Pub is getting ready to re-open

nickyjones8

My god it is good to hear that a pub at that end of town is now taking a stand and getting rid of the scum. I like the Dove And Rainbow landlords attitude, but it needs all the pubs in that area to take the same attitude. Good luck to The landlord/lady of the hen and chicks may have to venture in and take a look.

• 2 months later...
If only the council would clean up the street outside the pub may look more inviting.

As a teenager in the 1960s, I would go there with my parents for a meal at least one evening a week. The food was superb and you met an interesting if somewhat colourful clientel. The landlord was a little fat chap with a high pitched voice, but he would tolerate no nonsense.

It was a good night out. I remember also a huge platter with a silver salmons head and tail where they left a side of salmon on the back bar. It wouldn't last 5 minute these days.

I too hope they turn the place round. My parents went there through choice driving into Sheffield specially to visit the pub. They were happy to park an Aston Martin in the lane outside knowing it would come to no harm.

I went to the Boardwalk on Sunday night. Some nutter was at the end of Water Lane shouting his head off and swearing at passers by. He was swinging chains around. I wouldn't park a 20 year old Lada down there at the moment.

Let's hope it turns out well.

Archived