Skiing at Treeton dike

lyndix

When I was younger we used to go water skiing on Treeton dike.

Are there any others on here that used to go?

It would`ve been in the 80`s.

I used to go water-skiing with family and friends on Treeton Dyke during the Autumn periods during the late 1970's/early 1980's. :)

For most of the years between 1976 to 1981 I kept the boat during Summer in a boatyard adjacent to the beach on one-side, with our 32ft."Bluebird" Mobile Home sited adjacently on the other at Tunstall, East Yorkshire and spent every Summer using the boat for sea-skiing with my family and our friends.

They were idyllic years for our 3 children. :)

We eventually tired of spending our time at the same place and sold the Mobile Home and eventually the boat. The purchaser of the boat lived locally to Sheffield and used it thereafter on Treeton Dyke.

The boat? A red 12ft Shakespeare Clubman c/w 50hp Mercury Engine. It went like lightning across the water. :hihi:

I keep trying to work out how old I was when we used to go. Iwas about ten so it was the early eighties.

We got into it when my mum had a win on the spot the ball, so we bought a boat(a cream super V)and all the gear.

We used to always go at the top end(further up), we had many happy summers there and were always involved in the gala they had each year.

When everyone had finished skiing on an evening and the adults were packing stuff away, all us young uns(and usually our dogs) would swim out to the jump in the middle and dick about.

Does anyone have photos? And does anyone remember the area before the Dyke was created?

my mum and dad have hundreds of photo`s, I will get some off her next time I go down to visit them, and post them on here.

I am way too young to remember before that.

I seem to recall the Treeton Boat and Ski Club used to meet regularly at the Atlas Hotel at Brinsworth. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

I know SYBSC used to have regular meets, not sure where though, you could be right. I`m pretty certain my dad used to give them a miss(he wasn`t one for that sort of thing).

Can you remember the chairman, Tony Green, I think it was?

Then there was the safety officer, bloke with really ginger hair, John Bingley was it?

I know SYBSC used to have regular meets, not sure where though, you could be right. I`m pretty certain my dad used to give them a miss(he wasn`t one for that sort of thing).

Can you remember the chairman, Tony Green, I think it was?

Then there was the safety officer, bloke with really ginger hair, John Bingley was it?

Sorry lyndix, I can't help you re the Club Members. I was a casual "boating" visiter to Treeton Dyke and remember just the one occasion I went to a "Club Meet" at the Atlas Hotel. :)