Has there ever been a prison in Sheffield?

TS-B

Wasn't there a lockup in the building athe bottom of ????? Street (forgotten the name) on the opposite side of Langsett Road a bit further up from Wood Street. the street is just before the Primrose Hill petrol staion which is in the 'Full Monty' film.

In later years it was Poole's Dentist Surgery, it still had an iron grilled door when I last remember it.

Maybe someone could correct me on this.

Hi PopT - you're thinking of Burgoyne Road; at the bottom was Walkley Divisional Police Station (87 Langsett Road) which became a dental surgery. I imagine they had a few cells but it wasn't a proper prison. You can still see POLICE STATION carved above the door. See http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t01552&pos=1&action=zoom&id=31990

There are now flats where Primrose Hill filling station was. Times change....

Edited by hillsbro

Sheffield Has Never Had A Prison, All The Criminals That Were Put On Remand In The Old Days Went To Hmp Hull While Those On Judges Remand Or Sentenced By The Crown Court Went To Hmp Armley, Now We Have Doncaster Prison Where All Our Convicts Go That Have Been Dealt With By Our Courts..as For Borstals In Sheffield That Also Is A No No, We Have Had Local Authority Care Homes That Were Secure Units And There Still Is One In Use On Limb Lane In Dore But It Is More Like A Prison For Young People On Remand With Bars On The Windows And Cameras Watching Every Move. There Was A Rumour At One Time That Meadowhall Was Built As A Prison But Halfway Through Building It Was Changed To A Shoppping Complex. In All I Dont Think There Are To Many Major Citys That Dont Have A Prison But We Aqre One Of Them And Its A Shame As It Would Give Employment To A Lot Of People, I Think The Prison Service Is One Of The Major Employers In Doncaster With 4 Prisons Being Based There.

• 4 weeks later...
Quite right. "Hollow Meadows Institute" provided residential care for the mentally handicapped. It closed in the 1970s and was converted into luxury apartments.

When I was A child my father always refered to this place as the "wag" school saying kids would be sent there if they were caught missing school by the "school bobby". This always led me to think that it may have been some sort of reform school years ago.

My father would have been 104yrs old if he was still alive so I am talking a long time ago.

• 8 years later...
north sea camp was also a detention center in the seventies and then a prison which it still is , geofrey archer was in there and working in lincoln and going home every weekend until he broke the rules and got shipped out.

Aah----------[/size]

[/color]

Probably was. I know that so called naughty girls used to stay there[/
Edited by stpetre
Add

Aah... Jeffrey Archer -Lord Archer / Life Peer and former policeman!- They the defenders of the faith and custodians of the law- Another former Tory 'Golden boy', (along with Rotherham lad William Hague). Archer 'broke the rules' what was he there for in the first place ?

Wasn't Mary Queen of Scots interned at Manor Castle.

---------- Post added 27-01-2017 at 19:54 ----------[/sIZ

Edited by stpetre
Add