Has there ever been a prison in Sheffield?

TS-B

Am I correct in assuming that most cities have prisons and Sheffield is an exception to this rule?

I have always found it a little strange that every prisoner from a city as large as Sheffield has to be sent somewhere else. Virtually every other sizeable city that I can think of has at least one prison.

Am I correct in assuming that most cities have prisons and Sheffield is an exception to this rule?

That's certainly the way it seems - think of smaller cities such as Lincoln, Leicester, Norwich and Exeter, also towns such as Doncaster, Preston and March (Whitemoor). But Sheffield crooks are good customers of Wakefield and Leeds prisons...

In the early 1950's Hollowmeadows was a borstal ! Boys were often seen by the gate in their garb including woodworking aprons. The threat to a misbehaving child at this time was, "Behave or you will go to Hollowmeadows!"

Im sure Sheffield would have been considered for a prison in the past. A lot of the victorian prisons like Armley, Strangeways, Lincoln etc are alocation prisons. Only prisoners with very short sentences/remand actually stay there (there are exceptions). There are hundreds of different category prisons in england a lot were previously army/raf camps. I would like to ask if people would like a top security prison like Wakefield built near the city? Perhaps this has been strongly opposed in the past.

I would like to ask if people would like a top security prison like Wakefield built near the city? Perhaps this has been strongly opposed in the past.

It has little impact on the community as prison breaks are very rare, it would probably mean an unsightly building and an increase in traffic levels in the area.

I remember going past Armley prison when I worked in Leeds and that was deterrent enough to keep me on the right side of the bars.

If we did have an imposing prison in Sheffield would it lower crime rates as it would be a visible reminder of the punishment awaiting would be criminals?

It has little impact on the community as prison breaks are very rare, it would probably mean an unsightly building and an increase in traffic levels in the area.

I remember going past Armley prison when I worked in Leeds and that was deterrent enough to keep me on the right side of the bars.

If we did have an imposing prison in Sheffield would it lower crime rates as it would be a visible reminder of the punishment awaiting would be criminals?

Although you are right about prison breaks there are hundreds if not thousands of escapees in England, although these are from open and semi open prisons. I suppose the sight of a prison may act as a deterrent especially Armley as i have also seen. The modern prisons like the one in Doncaster (Marshgate) look less imposing.

If you visit the old fire station on West Bar you will be able to stand in the cell from which Charlie Peace escaped. Not that I'm suggesting the man escaped from the Fire Brigade.

Before becoming home to the FB it served as the town gaol I think.

I would imagine also that Sheffield Castle in any of it's incarnations must surely have had a gaol of some sort.

Does this qualify?