Arthur Lee & Sons Ltd?

Hello,

I've read all the comments posted with a great deal of interest. ALS must have been a good place to work. I worked across the valley at Davy United in the 1950's and part of the 60's.

One thing I have noticed about the comments on Lees' is there has been no mention of metallurgists. There must have been a complete department but not a word. Were they isolated from all other departments?

The name of one particular metallurgist comes to mind: Keith Sullivan, joined Lees at Meadowhall (?) in the mid to late 1960's and was most likely there until retirement. Anybody remember him?

Regards

Hello,

I've read all the comments posted with a great deal of interest. ALS must have been a good place to work. I worked across the valley at Davy United in the 1950's and part of the 60's.

One thing I have noticed about the comments on Lees' is there has been no mention of metallurgists. There must have been a complete department but not a word. Were they isolated from all other departments?

The name of one particular metallurgist comes to mind: Keith Sullivan, joined Lees at Meadowhall (?) in the mid to late 1960's and was most likely there until retirement. Anybody remember him?

Regards

Hi Falls,

It is a long time ago and the memory is frail but there was a superb very large metallurgy lab headed by someone called Stan ???. I was an Engineer so didn't come into contact as much as production people but I would say that there were about 10 metallurgists when I was there.

The lab was on the right hand side of the drive going up and just over the Brook. I was responsible for the installation of the Sundwig mill just behind the lab and a huge disappointment to Davy when they didn't get the order for a 4th Z mill. I eventually went to work for Davy in Poole but it was never quite the same as Lee's.

Where were you based David Storer, you do sound familiar. Where purchasing was there was the canteen to the left and then the senior restaurant where the 'men only' had their lunch, waited on by ladies in black and white uniform.

Xmas dinners were based here and I remember the comedian David Copperfied performing for them one year. We used to go over the road to the pub. Upstairs was the 'clock in clock' and to the right was the sales team and to the left accounts. There was a miss Arthur Lee one year and I think Glenys Knapton won from sales. She was gorgeous though. Fred Munn was the brother to Roy Munn who was major of Sheffield. I remember that on the switchboard was a Denise Day and her boss. I went in several times and it was all the proper elastic key things. Names will come to me in time and I will keep you posted when the brain starts working again.

I started as an apprentice in the Tool Room just Off MB Dept. Had a spell in the D.O. with Les Naylor, Geoff Dicken Geoff Butler and then National Service. Afterwards had spells at Alloy Steel Rods, and Crown Works before coming back to Meadowhall to work for Gordon Dixon and to put in the wide slitter and then finished up as Works Engineer. My first office was near to Lesley Wilson's opposite the joiners and painter's and my final office was near Gordon's just opposite the old Hot Mill. Sadly, my marriage to another A. Lee lass failed and I had to start all over again so went to work for Davy in Poole (nearer my kids who were in Paris)

I got to eat in the Senior Canteen and I still have the decanter that they presented to me when I left.

I don't think it was Denise that I remember on the switchboard but she was a really forthright woman (i.e. randy) and scared the pants of innocent me then!

I go back about 40 of my 47 years. 1970 ish. With the Blades.

Peter Acton was commercial manager, then went down south after 30 years service as managing director of their slough stock holding Branch, Terry Early was sales i believe, Another Clive Trusswell rings a bell, Ivor Seemley as well.

Yes, I thought they were sales and I do remember Ivor Seemly and I think he was more bar sales was he not?.

I think I came across Peter Acton when we started to sell thin stainless steel from the Sundwig Mill

Does anyone remember the Dinner and Dance that they used to do at the Cutlers Hall?

Fantastic affairs and one memorable year Peter Cushing was there and also Bernard Manning, but whose jokes were very blue and I think the rest of us were embarrassed for Peter Cushing and the Lee's who clearly did not approve.

Also, what about the distribution of turkeys at Christmas?

Edited by davidstorer

There was no saddness at Lee Bright Bars,Warrington being demolished,my memories are of freezing cold in Winter because of the pathetic heating system,poor equiptment,and the ever pathetic bonus system.

There was no saddness at Lee Bright Bars,Warrington being demolished,my memories are of standing at a machine freezing cold in Winter because the heating system was hopeless,radiators twelve feet off the ground,when any schoolboy knows heat rises.Fumes from the furnaces,ie.burnt oil fumes from quenching bars.A bonus system that was useless,worn out equiptment.

Good riddence LBB. Warrington.