K.O.Y.L.I-does anyone know my grandad?

lisalee

• 1 month later...
My father who as passed away now was a seargent in the KOYLI is name was Thomas William Ward he was 6ft 3" built like a brick karsy

My grandad was a brick karsy in his day too lol! He passed away 2 years ago, we were expecting it, but it was still a huge shock and has left a massive hole in our family. There is a website dedicated to the KOYLI's, forgot the link to be honest.

When was your dad in service?

He was in the service from 1942 to 1953 i was born while he was stationed in scotland in dundonnald in 1948 think they were all big lads them days i have photos of him all over the world Aden Burma Germany France and Italy .

He was in the service from 1942 to 1953 i was born while he was stationed in scotland in dundonnald in 1948 think they were all big lads them days i have photos of him all over the world Aden Burma Germany France and Italy .

My grandad was in Burma. He didnt talk about it much though. Wonder if they knew each other?

My dad did not talk about it much its possible they knew one another i know he had some friends in sheffield they came home together on leave i will sort out some group pictures and let you see them see if you regognise anyone

My dad did not talk about it much its possible they knew one another i know he had some friends in sheffield they came home together on leave i will sort out some group pictures and let you see them see if you regognise anyone

aww thanks that would be great x ill find out grandads id number too.

Hi,

If you or someone you know was a member of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry I would love to hear from you. My grandad, George Baldwin served in Burma in WW2.

Thanks,

Lisa.

Hi, both my Dad and Grandad were in the Kings Own. My Grandad fought in the WW1 in France and Belgium (particulary Ypres) where he won the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He is also mentioned in a book called 'Deeds that thrilled the Empire' and also 'Saturday Soldiers' where a commissioned painting of him is on the front cover of the book. His name was William Henry Lappin and although I never met him I am really proud of him and his heroics. My Dad fought in WW2 in France shortly after the D Day landings, another brave man.

Archived