Find my unknown name father but...

Hi

How can i find my dad's name..I have birth certificate but it was my late mother only Patricia Swift/Bray she married to Harry Crossland ( not my father) he was involved in fight/assulted my dad and Harry was sent to the prison around 1960s..(for assulted) over my mother. Where will I find the record of Harry Crossland and my dad I could find his name from there... maybe they have been in newspaper... that would also help me to find his name...I dont know where to start to trace. I have not see my sister Alema Crossland ( now name changed she was adopted) for 42 years.

Need your advise if you know what to do....

Many thanks

Janice Crossland

Hi

How can i find my dad's name..I have birth certificate but it was my late mother only Patricia Swift/Bray she married to Harry Crossland ( not my father) he was involved in fight/assulted my dad and Harry was sent to the prison around 1960s..(for assulted) over my mother. Where will I find the record of Harry Crossland and my dad I could find his name from there... maybe they have been in newspaper... that would also help me to find his name...I dont know where to start to trace. I have not see my sister Alema Crossland ( now name changed she was adopted) for 42 years.

Need your advise if you know what to do....

Many thanks

Janice Crossland

Try (Ancestry.co.uk) you get so many freebies and I'm pretty sure they have prison records plus census worth a try

I think Jason who has been tracing his family on this same board might be able to help, he has done well, he seems a lovely bloke, perhaps if you pm he might give you some advice on where to start.

If this was a local court case there may well be a record of it at the Telegraph and Star offices. Alternatively the Local Studies library have been archiving cuttings from local newspapers for may years, - and indexing them; but I don't how long they have been doing this for, - worth checking anyway.

As your father was the victim in the assault he should certainly be named and his address at the time may also have been published.

After forty years the court records may also be available for inspection, and these should give you all the information you need.

Archived