Ever heard of Springheel Jack?

Jon

Originally posted by "The Cycleracer"

Anyone remember the Spiderman around 1980.

He used to scale multi storey flats climbing on the outside and burgling the tennants, even on the top floors.

I actually knew who he was as he lived on the floor below me and his daring escapades stopped when he fell from a roof just 20 feet high and was killed.

Got any links to some old news paper stories?

Not on the net but you might find that the star could print a copy off though you would need to give them a date which unfortunatly i can,t give you.

The suspect was never caught or suspected though i knew it was him.

I will never name him but he made it obvious and i was not suprised when the crimes stopped when he fell off that roof.

There's a church in Greenhill, next to the old School house, down the alley behind there's 2 memorial stones built into the wall. Don't know how true this is, as it was a bit of a myth that used to go round our school. Apparently some psycho pushed 2 nuns from the roof years and years ago and if you go down there at dusk and stand in a certain place you can hear the screaming!!

Because of the way the alley is surrounded by walls and these head stones are set into an alcove, if it's a bit breezy it creates some very spine chilling noises!

Even if you don't hear the screaming it's still a really spooky story.

If anyones knows anything else about this I would be very interested to hear it!

• 2 months later...

Hello people never really been here before, but i need some help.

i'm currently researching the Jessops Hospital just off west street in sheffield. i would be very grateful if anyone has any stories of supernatural goings on in the building or surrounding area.

Please help

This is an extract from :-

A DESCRIPTION OF THE TOWN OF SHEFFIELD

in my remembrance wrote in the year 1832 at the time the Cholera was raging in Sheffield.

BY

JOSEPH WOOLHOUSE.

FORE WORD

BY

MR. HENRY RICHARDSON.

Proceeding on Campo Lane there is a few old houses pulled down and new ones built, but it is yet a very narrow Street. There is a remnant of a part of an ancient wall still standing on your right hand. I have no doubt but ere long this street will be made considerable wider to the top of Paradise Square. This square in my Parent's time was a Cornfield called Hicks Stile field. My mother has seen Corn grow in this Square. I will relate one circum- stances to show what the 17 Century was. My GrandFather as I have said in the former part of this work, lived at Green Lane and kept a public house. He likewise carried on the Trade of Pocket Knives. One of his men was lame and compell 'd to have Crutches to assist him to travel for a number of Years. His residence was in Gregory Row. My mother has mentioned his name often. This person was out late one evening and had to come on Campo Lane, he saw (or fancied he saw) the Bargast (as it has been frequent]y called) coming towards him on Campo Lane.{26} At that time the Paradise Square was a field and a Stile at the top to go over. When he first saw this goblin he thought within himself " If I can but get over this stile into the field I can go down the hill merrily. " Gregory Row was a very narrow Row or Street at the bottom of Paradise Square. This was a very high hill at that time. The bottom of the present Street has been raised 3 or 4 feet in my time. He managed over this Stile, but the fiend gained ground of him. Faster he went and faster it followed, he ran with his Crutches till his fears came thicker and faster, and this demon still getting nearer, when, being about the middle of this field (the Square) seeing this goblin close at his heels, he there dropt his Crutches and away went he without them, and never stopt or look'd behind him until he got home (he lived in Gregory Row, a very narrow thoroughfare out of West Bar Green and came out at the bottom of Silver Street at the back of the now Sign of the Little Tankard). The wife had the door made, but him being in such a fright had not patience to wait until she opened the door but burst it open. He told the wife what was at the door, but she was the worse frightened at him coming without his Crutches than at the Bargast. However they were a little reconciled and went to bed. He could not rest from fright etc., got up at daylight the next morning to go in quest of his Crutches; he found them in exactly the same place where he dropt them. He went to his work the next morning and his Shopmen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{26} Hunter (Glossary) says the Barghasts were peculiar to towns or places of public concourse, not to the country, the features by which they were distin- guished being long teeth and saucer eyes. This is borne out by the examples of the use of the word in the English Dialect Dictionary. It quotes Grose's remark that the Barghast was a ghost "commonly appearing near gates and stiles"; and a Cumberland definition, "a boggle that haunts burial places" both of which characteristics are appropriate to the story above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

was nearly as frightened to see him come trotting to the shop without his crutches as he was when he saw the Bargast. However he was so overjoyed that he gave his Shopmen a treat of some ale, and they spent the day Cheerfully; and he for his own part never used Crutches again while he lived, and he lived a many years after this. So much for this Bargast.

With regard to Jessop's Hospital, I don't know of any ghostly legends, but I do know that a woman was found murdered in St George's church yard (it's next to Jessops for those who don't know) around the mid 50's. My mum was in the hospital at the time and I recall seeing the screens around where the body was found.

• 7 months later...

There are a brilliant set of books available from WH Smiths called Pit Ghosts & Padfeet.. cant remember the author but the

cover is all black and very distinctive!

Brilliant reads ...

I would recommend easily 2 places for regular haunting activity:

Roche Abbey

Anston Stones

Anyone out there in sheff land camped out in any of those 2?

Archived