The Park, Sheffield

glaham

"Where's Sherlock Holmes ?" .....here :D

At some time High St. in the Park district was renamed to Bard St. [probably to avoid confusion with the High St. in town].

It used to run from Broad St to Bernard St. The lower end of Bard St. is still there, but the upper end now seems to be called Blackwell Close, but I imagine all the old properties will have been demolished years ago.

Also still shown on a modern map is High Street Lane which connected High St. [later Bard St.] with Duke St. and South St.

Greybeard---thank you.

I never knew that Bard Street was once called High Street and that explains , too , how "High St. Lane " got its name.

However , it's still a bit of a puzzle about whether Glaham meant "Park ", the area or the name of a house.

Magnifying glasses at the ready !

Dr. Watson

Well my dear Watson, I'm assuming that Glaham is trying to trace his family history and the details he has are taken from the 1871 census. The qualification of an address in 'High St.' with 'The Park' indicates to me that it is an endorsement by the enumerator to distinguish this address from the High St. in town.

I could check this assumption against a street directory of the period, or even the 1871 census index, but unfortunately the Local Studies Library is closed for three weeks for refurbishment.

Let's hope our Glanham returns to enlighten us with the fuller details.

Holmes

Greybeard

I must say I am a little disappointed. Surely , if you're the real Sherlock , or some kind of re-incarnation , you would have found a way into the library , closed or not.

Rumour had it , amongst the ragamuffins of Norfolf Street that in days of yore , there was a secret passage from behind the juke box in the Brown Bear into the Art Gallery.

I have ordered a Hansom Cab , so on with the cloaks and off we go to solve the mystery of the Two High Streets and The Case of the City Council that Went Mad.

The depth of the conspiracy is, perhaps not clear to you, Lastrade. There were in truth, three High Streets !

As the estimable Mrs Hudson might inform you, there was in the north of the town High St Attercliffe, a busy throughfare where she was accustomed to foray to buy spiced sausage from the skilled German pork butchers of that quarter.

Alas, the fiendish criminal mind at the heart of the town hall changed many a street's true name in the 1870's and 1880's and High St Att became part of that great highway, Attercliffe Road.

HughW

blue ball pub was on left side of broad street,now gone,old harrow pub on right side just above granellis ice cream,duram ox pub was at top,there was a chippy too,and frank cobbs cutlery firm,next to granellis was shukers garage and the sampson pub,i can also remember the plough inn and the newmarket;)

Pauline mentions a Schukers garage in that area.

Round about 1958 I worked in the Wholesale market , then at the bottom of Dixon Lane , for a couple of weeks , in the school holidays.

Just before Easter a lad who worked at the Market , called Terry Schuker [ or Schuler ] had been killed by a runaway lorry at the bottom of Duke Street. He had been delivering some fruit and so on to a vehicle on Broad Street when it happened.

I knew him slightly . I understood he had been a very good Rock n' Roll dancer . Anybody remember the incident ?

• 1 month later...

The Park could refer to peeps brought up on Park Hill. Depends on the era of course. We were all known as Park Lads/Park folk in 60's/70's. I suppose the area we are talking about would be

Park Hill, Hyde Park and in between like Bardyland and up to Norfolk Park. I might be of got the wrong end of the stick of course. :)

Archived