Meeting Gene Vincent

• 3 weeks later...
In the late fifties i was a member of a club run by The Star and i entered and won a competition to meet Gene Vincent and Eddy Cochrane at I believe the Cinema house {or Gaumont} during their tour of England just before Eddy was tragically killed.

Being a bit naive in those days i didn't take any photos or any memories of the occasion

I wrote to the Star but they couldn't even find any evidence of the club [i forgot the name]

I went to Sheffield Archives to look it up but couldn't find any mention of it. I am sure i didn't dream the whole thing up so did anyone else go to it and if so have they got any pics or newspaper cuttings

thanks

Irene

I think that you will find that it was The Gloops Club. :thumbsup:

I think that you will find that it was The Gloops Club. :thumbsup:

I was a member of Gloops Club as were many other kid's off the block. Then we grew up to be R & R fanatics and left Gloops to the under 13's. The rest of us devoured R & R music. :)

I was at the Gene Vincent/Eddie Cochran party too. It was SO long ago and I could be wrong, but I remember Eddie Cochran wearing black leather "drainies" with a matching knee-length coat. His shirt was open neck - a lovely burnt orange color. I might have a faded news cutting somewhere but it would take me weeks to find it.

There were many other parties for various stars. I know I have two cuttings from Cliff Richard parties - in the same place as the Cochran cutting.

I also went to CGS and still have autographs from stage door ambushes, some signed on the back covers of those old blue exercise books we were issued. Billy Fury, Conway Twitty, Vince Eager, Tony Sheridan, are a few I recall. I spent some time with Tony Sheridan, showing him around the city. He was a very pleasant person, not big-headed at all.

One of the Cliff Richard news reports with a photo showing my smiling face was the subject of a school report. If I had spent as much time on my school work as I did with various recording stars, Mr. Harvatt said, I would have done much better on my exams. But that early interviewing experience stood me in good stead later when I was involved in journalism, PR and legal research and when I did eight years as a crime "stringer" at a TV station.

Archived