Meeting Gene Vincent

I have just put together an hour long weekly new show for Sheffield Live called the Rock n roll Years which starts first week in Augast.

It has all the originals from 1954 to 1963 and is packed with fast and slow tracks stringed together with Jingles and no DJ talking in-between.

I haven't got the date and time as yet but it will be an afternoon slot every week on 93.2fm......... Sheffield Live

Hi Skip, how're you doin'?

I also had a lengthy conversation with Freddie Cannon and Conway Twitty (anyone remember them?). Couldn't get close to the Everly Brothers who boarded a waiting tour bus and took off immediately upon leaving the concert venue. They (the Everlys) were touring at the time with two former Buddy Holly's Crickets ...Sonny Curtis and (I think) Joe Mauldin.

I'm going to see Freddie Cannon in a month or so.

I saw the Everlys some years ago at the city hall, they were instantly forgetable.

I saw The Crickets at Philidelphia WMC (I think it was) near the Jessops Hosp. a few years back, Joe Maudlin, Glen D Hardin, Jerry Alison and Mike Berry doin the Buddy Holly bits, nice chaps.

I'm going to see Freddie Cannon in a month or so.

I saw the Everlys some years ago at the city hall, they were instantly forgetable.

I saw The Crickets at Philidelphia WMC (I think it was) near the Jessops Hosp. a few years back, Joe Maudlin, Glen D Hardin, Jerry Alison and Mike Berry doin the Buddy Holly bits, nice chaps.

Sorry the Everly Brothers failed to impress you. Perhaps they were past their prime when you saw them. It happens, sad to say. All I know is that their tight harmony singing was absolutely unique and they influenced many such vocal groups. Whether age caught up with them or not they certainly left their mark on popular music and will be remembered for having done so. Long live the innovative (for the time) sounds of Don and Phil and the wonderful musicians (oftentimes Chet Atkins and Floyd Cramer, among others) who accompanied them.

Sorry the Everly Brothers failed to impress you. Perhaps they were past their prime when you saw them. It happens, sad to say. All I know is that their tight harmony singing was absolutely unique and they influenced many such vocal groups. Whether age caught up with them or not they certainly left their mark on popular music and will be remembered for having done so. Long live the innovative (for the time) sounds of Don and Phil and the wonderful musicians (oftentimes Chet Atkins and Floyd Cramer, among others) who accompanied them.

Past their prime, that's what I put it down too. I was quite impressed with the guitarist they had that night though. He had a short solo spot, I believe it was some kid called Albert Lee.

The rest of the audience seemed to enjoy them, but maybe most of them were casual fans.

Past their prime, that's what I put it down too. I was quite impressed with the guitarist they had that night though. He had a short solo spot, I believe it was some kid called Albert Lee.

The rest of the audience seemed to enjoy them, but maybe most of them were casual fans.

Yes, it certainly WAS Albert Lee ...a phenominal guitarist who toured with the Everlys on a regular basis. It must have been many years ago that you saw them because Albert Lee is hardly a kid any more ...must be pushing 60.

The problem with artists such as the Everly Brothers is that they get locked into a time warp and are not allowed to get out of it. As innovative as they might have been (and they WERE innovative on some of their albums) people go to see their shows mainly to hear them sing their 'teen' hits, such as Bye Bye Love, Wake Up Little Susie, All I Have To Do Is Dream, Bird Dog, etc. Songs of a more meaningful or intricate nature are therefore missing from their concerts because the fans are solely there to hear their hits. These songs (as essential as they might be to an Everly Brothers Concert) also become 'old hat' to the Everlys themselves. They must get SO bored singing them for the millionth time. I mean, how much emotion can one pack into a 2 minute-plus 'teeny-bopper' song which is what most of their hits were? Their song Let It Be Me might be an exception, however. Phil Everly generally sheds a tear or two while singing this song.

Whatever, their close-harmony singing and unique style will be remembered for many years to come.

The "kid" reference was just me amusing myself, it was probably about 15 years ago I saw them.

I've heard The Evs say that the fans are a double edged sword, in that they pay their wages, but hold them back musically. Apparently more so in Britain than in the US.

The Everly Brothers gig was the first Rock ('n' Roll) gig where we were "encouraged" to remain seated. I'm usually as close to the stage as possible and that night we seemed to be miles away.

Albert Lee has played with many American legends including The Crickets Emmylou Harris and our own Eric Clapton and Bill Wymon's All Stars and I think he's been to Sheffild with his band Hogan's Heroes

Hi Sputnic Here i am again.I havent been far, just busy looking after the sick. I was just reading your thread on The Everly Brothers.They are legends,timeless,I wonder if anyone has ever heard their album called Roots The Everly Bros.remembar that ? I still play it.All the best :thumbsup:

Archived