Pikelets or crumpets.

GRRRRRRR

My partner has just come home after collecting some pikelets which he denies are real.

A pikelet to me, as a real Sheffield lass, is a round bread like thing with lots of holey bits in the top, should be toasted with butter, cheese, jam or whatever melted on top, generally in abundance. Not the big round flat things with holes in which go all floppy at the first sign of butter. This, to me, is an inferior pikelet.

Now as he isn't from Sheffield he says they are crumpets. :rant:

I've have a vast amount of recent conversations with people from Sheffield who agree with me, in Sheffield, these delicacies are PIKELETS. I don't mean what it says on the pack, I'm not interested in the techinical terms, are these items pikelets to Sheffielders or not.

Please help me settle this argument cos it's doing my NUT. :loopy:

P.s aware there has been similar thread in past but it seems inconclusive to me.

I'm from London originally (I've lived in Doncaster / Sheffield for two years now) and personally, I've always called them Pikelets...although thats probably because my stepfather called them Pikelets (he's a Northern lad through and through). Most people in the South do call them Crumpets.

well i am a southern and to me they are crumpets, my husband from sheffield calls them pikelets, other differences which call arguements are fishcakes (me) rissoles (him) and breadcakes(him) baps(me). now we are living in sheffield for the first time i find the whole force of his family in arguement against me i think i'm losing!

Originally posted by alchresearch

Contrary to popular belief, pikelets and crumpets are not the same thing.

Pikelets are exactly the same as crumpets, in size, texture and taste but are more flat, as if they haven't risen.

I'm sure Asda sell both.

but arent they scotch pancakes?