Pikelets or crumpets.

Even though I've only seen em sold as crumpets I've always called em pikelets (the thick round holey ones).

Oatcakes are flat and larger than pikelets (a right pain to put in the toaster, yep, I've tried)

A breadcake is, well, a breadcake. A teacake's got fruit in it.

Fishcake is fish between 2 slices of tater in batter.

Rissole is minced fish with herbs in breadcrumbs.

Scallops are deep fried taters in batter.

Scraps are left over bits of batter mmmmmmmmmm

Must be bored tonight:hihi:

We always used to fry them in dripping.

• 4 years later...

I was in Chesterfield market yesterday where they sell all 3.

Oatcakes about 25 cms diameter

Pikelets about 20cms diameter.

Crumpets 8.5 diameter but twice as thick.

I'm sorry about the packaging. The kids found the crumpets and ripped the packet apart.

So I hope this helps.

Pikelets ingredients. Flour water yeast sugar, baking poweder and sunflower oil

crumpets. Exactly the same.

Oatcakes. As above but with adition of oatmeal.

Interesting price comparison

Pikelets £1.29 for 4

Oatcakes £1.49 for 6

Crumpets £0.79 for 8

Tastewise the kids seem to prefer oatcakes. They can spread more Marmite on them than crumpets.

GRRRRRRR

My partner has just come home after collecting some pikelets which he denies are real.

A pikelet to me, as a real Sheffield lass, is a round bread like thing with lots of holey bits in the top, should be toasted with butter, cheese, jam or whatever melted on top, generally in abundance. Not the big round flat things with holes in which go all floppy at the first sign of butter. This, to me, is an inferior pikelet.

Now as he isn't from Sheffield he says they are crumpets. :rant:

I've have a vast amount of recent conversations with people from Sheffield who agree with me, in Sheffield, these delicacies are PIKELETS. I don't mean what it says on the pack, I'm not interested in the techinical terms, are these items pikelets to Sheffielders or not.

Please help me settle this argument cos it's doing my NUT. :loopy:

P.s aware there has been similar thread in past but it seems inconclusive to me.

We're talking about two different things here, pikelets and crumpets, they're not the same thing.

Pikelets are plonkers.

Crumpets are Whhooaars.

Having sampled all 3 for breakfast yesterday our family verdict was...

Oatcakes by far the best. They had a nice texture, good flavour and a crunchy outside

Crumpets. Tasted Ok, but lacked flavour. OK with Marmite.

Pikelets. No one liked these. They were soft and stodgy like a part cooked pancake.

I think we will stick to oatcakes.

Essentially, the main difference is that a pikelet is not cooked in a ring like a crumpet, hence why it is thinner and more freeform in shape.

The pikelet is believed to be of Welsh origin where it was known as ‘bara piglydd’, later anglicised as pikelet. It is often called the ‘poor man’s crumpet’ as it was made by those who could not afford rings to make crumpets and so would drop the batter freely into the pan.

So basically, if it is round, its a crumpet!!

Sheffield is well known for getting the name of things wrong, eg, calling a swede a turnip, a fish scallop a fishcake.

Tony's chip shop at Mosborough use to have a classic howler on the menu ... Chicken Nougats!!!