Pikelets or crumpets.

Originally posted by gracejanet

other differences which call arguements are fishcakes (me) rissoles (him) and breadcakes(him) baps(me).

:) Until I came to Sheffield I had never heard anyone call a bread roll a 'bread cake'. It seems to be a term unique to Sheffield too rather than the North in general, in Doncaster they are baps or rolls.

I always thought that crumpets were the "fat" round ones, and pikelets were also holey, but thin.

But then, I'm from the other side of the penines originally.

When I first came here, I had, and still do, a problem with "breadcakes"... It's a barmcake, and when you go to the chippy, you have a "chip barm", not "chip butty" as this suggests it is between two slices of bread!:suspect:

but Tracie, hon - a breadcake isn't a bread roll anyway, could get away with calling it a teacake if ur from Barnsley i suppose .... we called soft bread rolls, bridge rolls don't ask why ... pikelets were the fat round ones in our house and the flat floppy ones, weren't they oatcakes? Crumpets were sort of bready with no holes, i think they're really english muffins ... but deffo not pikelets .... (or is all this false memory syndrome ... )