Pikelets or crumpets.

:) Until I came to Sheffield I had never heard anyone call a bread roll a 'bread cake'. It seems to be a term unique to Sheffield too rather than the North in general, in Doncaster they are baps or rolls.

In Barnsley, they're teacakes! Spare a thought for me - Im a Southerner - and in London they're rolls, and work in Sheffield where they're breadcakes. AAAAAAAGH! :hihi:

As to crumpets or pikelets - they're CRUMPETS!!!! :thumbsup:

well i call them crumpets im from the south and believe me the lingo up here is so much diffrent to down kent.

When someone first asked me to mash a cuppa i didn't have a clue what they where bloody on about.

You dont have savaloy sold here either in sheffield in the chip shop.

But then again in kent they don't sell mushy peas.

it's like two diffrent worlds.

charlie

• 1 year later...

it's wherever you come from ... like the old what is a"Fishcake' and "Rissole" debate. Most of the country determine a rissole as having savoury meat in it ... not in Sheffield though ... it contains fish, potato and parsley here .... Sheffield people also tend to call a swede a turnip? .... as for Crumpet's, when did you last see them being sold as "pikelet'? arghhhh!!