Supermarkets make billions of pounds profit while paying staff minimal wages...

I've every right to complain if the money I have earned through my own work goes to subsidise the staff he has not got the moral decency to pay a living wage.

The fact that some companies DO pay decent wages ought to have him taking a long, hard look at himself.

I've every right to complain if the money I have earned through my own work goes to subsidise the staff he has not got the moral decency to pay a living wage.

The fact that some companies DO pay decent wages ought to have him taking a long, hard look at himself.

Ok then, he pays them what they consider a fair wage (say £10 an hour) and still makes a million quid a year, same question, when does he stop?

Ok then, he pays them what they consider a fair wage (say £10 an hour) and still makes a million quid a year, same question, when does he stop?

Why would it stop, if profits and living costs go up? ;)

But seriously, seeing as tax credits go through payroll, companies are more than aware of which staff are living below the breadline and know all too well whether they are paying staff enough for a fair day's work - so they have NO excuse of not knowing when wages are enough to live on. It's shameful if they then post huge profits all the while knowing that everyone is having to help those staff keep a decent standard of living, helping them not simply say "Bugger it" and go on the dole.

So you object to tthe tax credit system? now the other point about landlords, are not housing associations not landlords?

Agreed.

My comments were aimed at Darbees comment 'rubbish' which I believe was aimed at Mathon's comments about another example of rich getting richer at the expense of others... namely the buy-to-let market.

If there was no demand for rented property there would be no buy-to-let demand, the real reason for being priced out of the housing market is because the building of houses is not keeping up with an increasing population, as in supply and demand.

But seriously, seeing as tax credits go through payroll, companies are more than aware of which staff are living below the breadline and know all too well whether they are paying staff enough for a fair day's work - so they have NO excuse of not knowing when wages are enough to live on. It's shameful if they then post huge profits all the while knowing that everyone is having to help those staff keep a decent standard of living, helping them not simply say "Bugger it" and go on the dole.

I was giving an example of why some people are rich, you were suggesting that people are only rich through exploiting the workforce. Most people are rich due to hard work even though they might not be doing it any more, I would think that is something worth aspiring to.

If people were paid according to their circumstances there would be people on different wages for doing same thing, how can that be right? The tax credits balance that out, the employer still pays the same amount and the state decides how much tax they should pay. Families on £50k are entitled to certain concessions btw.

So does an employer know whether an employee is a single mother of eight or has no children while living at home with their parents or is occupying themselves during the day while their spouse is earning a fortune as a plumber? Should they receive different wages for doing the same job?

Should the employer set all wages on the assumption that everyone is a single mother of eight?

If there was no demand for rented property there would be no buy-to-let demand, the real reason for being priced out of the housing market is because the building of houses is not keeping up with an increasing population, as in supply and demand.

You'd see how badly (or 'not badly' if of course you are a vendor ;)) 'buy to let' has affected the housing market if you'd ever tried to buy in S7, S10 or S11 over the past 15 years and been up against one of the hundreds of landlords.

So does an employer know whether an employee is a single mother of eight or has no children while living at home with their parents or is occupying themselves during the day while their spouse is earning a fortune as a plumber? Should they receive different wages for doing the same job?

Should the employer set all wages on the assumption that everyone is a single mother of eight?

You would not get tax credits for 2 of those 3 situations and a single mother of eight would almost certainly be completely unable to work, so not the most suitable examples ;)

However, tax credits only bring your income up to a certain level.

Archived