Supermarkets make billions of pounds profit while paying staff minimal wages...

You'd see how badly (or 'not badly' if of course you are a vendor ;)) 'buy to let' has affected the housing market if you'd ever tried to buy in S7, S10 or S11 over the past 15 years and been up against one of the hundreds of landlords.

Surely that proves my point, if house building had kept up with demand there would be little reason for buy to let, apart from those who do move location on a regular basis, house price inflation would not have gone through the roof, and there would be affordable housing for all who wanted it.

What was your incentive to become a skilled craftsman, presumably some of it was to earn more.

yes Iwas lucky that my parents subsidised me while I was training.Iwas lucky not all kids can get that support.Does that give me the right to look down on them.

Heh, I'm not daft, buy-to-let property is not the 'safe as houses' (ho ho ;)) investment it once was ;)

Many of the buy to let landlords are people who have sunk their life savings into purchasing a second property to try and give themselves a better future, thus increasing their chances of a comfortable rretirement without state assistance, and surely should be applauded for it, not critisised.

You would not get tax credits for 2 of those 3 situations and a single mother of eight would almost certainly be completely unable to work, so not the most suitable examples ;)

However, tax credits only bring your income up to a certain level.

The issue was whether the company would know the circumstances of its employees and whether it should tailor the salary it paid to employees with different domestic circs despite the fact that they do the same job.

You're doing a lot of winking but not much answering.

Surely that proves my point, if house building had kept up with demand there would be little reason for buy to let, apart from those who do move location on a regular basis, house price inflation would not have gone through the roof, and there would be affordable housing for all who wanted it.

No, we're saying the same thing effectively - my point is that as so many have been bought up by landlords, if you actually want to buy one to live in round there, you'll have to pay through the nose, and the bidding war will not be pleasant. So those who do want to live there often have to rent...and so it goes on...

It's not just all down to lack of housing being available as the population simply hasn't gone up by that much.

Many of the buy to let landlords are people who have sunk their life savings into purchasing a second property to try and give themselves a better future, thus increasing their chances of a comfortable rretirement without state assistance, and surely should be applauded for it, not critisised.

I think you'll find very few of them are like this so I'm not about to flip out my hankie to cry for the landlords. ;)

It's not just all down to lack of housing being available as the population simply hasn't gone up by that much.

It's actually almost totally due to the massive increase in single occupants of all types of housing.

And I suppose that that is a function of individual prosperity as well as social change.

It's actually almost totally due to the massive increase in single occupants of all types of housing.

And that, I think, is due to people being constantly told they must own their own property as soon as possible, to get on the bottom rung of the so called "property ladder".

Archived