Coisley Hill Cottages

fedex

I was born in Normanton Springs and lived there until 66.

I remember how it was before...we had so many fantastic areas to play in....remember the croft, the wood, the farm, sometimes there was a pony in the field up the side of Coisley Hill, I even remember the rails on the railway line before they were removed. Does anyone remember the police box at the bottom of the hill? And sometimes there were real gypsies camped in the croft.

remember mrs knights shop in her front room and the shop at the bottom of linley lane with no electricity gas lamps well into the seventies coming down normanton hill on the the top floor of the bus i always held my breath as it got to the bottom it looked as if it was going straight into the shop can't remember her name she used to frighten me. remember the pear trees in the garden near the normanton pub scrummie and the crab apple tree on coisley hill,rhubarb in the fields and blackberries everywhere never went hungry in the springs!

remember mrs knights shop in her front room and the shop at the bottom of linley lane with no electricity gas lamps well into the seventies coming down normanton hill on the the top floor of the bus i always held my breath as it got to the bottom it looked as if it was going straight into the shop can't remember her name she used to frighten me. remember the pear trees in the garden near the normanton pub scrummie and the crab apple tree on coisley hill,rhubarb in the fields and blackberries everywhere never went hungry in the springs!

the shop you thought the bus was going to hit we always thought the lady was a whitch and it was haunted. it's now a fireplace shop . i still see mr's nights son albert he was at my uncles funeral last week and in the swallownest club after .

The shop was run by Tattie Newman and her daughter when I was living in the Springs in the 50s and 60s long before the houses were demolished and the new houses were built. She was always old and scary and was very strict about selling stuff...we used to go there to buy sweets when Knights and Bucks were closed. Interesting to hear that the shop is still standing as I thought it might have been demolished along with the rest of the old houses. Can you still get down pathway near the shop and cross wooden bridge to walk in the wood? I have no idea the proper name of wood...we just called it the wood.

Jaiden if you see Albert again tell him hello...we lived next door to the shop at number 15 and I was the baby of the family who emigrated to Canada. Does he still live in the Springs?

Are the rhubarb fields still in existance? They were pretty wild back when I was a child but still produced enough rhubarb that it was harvested every year by some company or other. And there used to be an orchard in the same fields...the biggest tree was a pear tree called Big Billy. Old Man Clarke used to chase us away waving his cane...tho why I don't know because the apple and pear trees were long past their prime and produced very tasteless fruit.

It's lovely to hear news of Albert. Alans' Knight & Barker were best mates of my husband Pete. Alan Barker visited us in Australia, with his late wife, Pat a few years ago. It was great to see them.

We lived on Coisley Hill for a short time when first married & I remember Mrs Knight well.

It's lovely to hear news of Albert. Alans' Knight & Barker were best mates of my husband Pete. Alan Barker visited us in Australia, with his late wife, Pat a few years ago. It was great to see them.

We lived on Coisley Hill for a short time when first married & I remember Mrs Knight well.

alan knight lives near the butchers arms on marsh lane , he's been there for years him and albert are both over seventy now and still bricklaying.

Archived