Base Green history?

Karukai

Just wondered whether any of you latter day residents of Basegreen remember Jack Mason who lived, I believe, with his auntie on Lister Avenue. He attended Frecheville secondary school from '57 to '61 and tragically died much too young in a car crash in Germany in the Spring of '67, aged 21.

echo.

Albert and Zena Fidler (AZENA) lived in a farmhouse at the rear of what was then a field, between the library(then the scout hut) and KwikSave (then the AZENA Ballroom). They sold the field and farmhouse to a builder and moved into a ground floor flat at the rear of the ballroom.

Geoff & Pete Stringfellow booked The Beatles for next to nowt for one appearance at the AZENA, they had been appearing in London prior to returning to Liverpool and accepted the Strigfellows offer because they were broke when the offer was made, however they had Love me do in the charts when they appeared at the AZENA.

They accepted the offer because Brian Epstein told them to (according to P.S.)

saying he (B.E.) would not renege-albeit verbal- on a business agreement which thrilled a lot of lads and lasses no end. 'Love Me Do' was in the lower reaches of the charts in October 1962 and by the time they got to the Azena, April 1963, they'd gone one better with 'Please Please Me.'

• 7 months later...
Excellent what number? As I lived at number 3 lister way as a kid. Many happy memories. Knew nothing about the jump jockey though. X

---------- Post added 18-06-2015 at 13:11 ----------

Speaking of ghosts does anyone remember that bloke who used to run the chippy at Basegreen? Also had something to do with St Peters church and he died on the steps? Many a ghost story about him as a kid. Early to mid 70's that.

The bloke who ran the chipshop at Base Green was my father, he did do a lot of things for St Peters but did not die on the church steps, but in hospital in Sheffield.

Remember chip shop very well,was surname Hopkinson.When i was young we used to take in newspapers to be used for wrapping chips in and got a free bag of chips.

Hi jackanne,you are correct the name over the chipshop was Hopkinson they had a several chipshops around Sheffield. Thanks for the newspapers ,I used to sort through them tear the large ones in half ,throw out any bad ones and stack them ready to go on the counter, don't think the health authoritys would allow it these days.

Hi bobbykins,I lived on seagrave crescent and i can remember the shops being built,i was about 6 years old,my mum was a regular customer at chip shop and so was i,your mum new me by my first name.The area is very run down now and half the shops are shut down.

• 5 months later...
The bloke who ran the chipshop at Base Green was my father, he did do a lot of things for St Peters but did not die on the church steps, but in hospital in Sheffield.

Gosh that was the rumour that scared us kids for years. I remember him, best fish n chips ever. Bless him. X

---------- Post added 28-07-2016 at 08:26 ----------

Speaking of the shops next door to the chippy was the greengocers, penny bubbly machine outside. Mr Hardwick?

Edited by puddinburner