Solar panels/ domestic wind turbines. Your experiences...

tiffy

My dads friend came up with a plan a few years back, to do solar panelling at a great price, patented all the products as he sold them successfully but wanted to move the business further, in light of all the carbon footprint news, so we can have them fitted to our houses to work our electricity etc....he couldn't get any funding at all for it... :loopy:

I imagine a few years back there were already companies doing it, and i'm sure solar panels would have had patents back then otherwise he would have been sitting on a goldmine if he had a patent for the technology???

I fitted my own solar panel last year. It's an 80watt panel connected to two lesure batteries. It works all my lights (using a 240volt inverter) and cost me £550. In the summer it make loads of power so I also charge mobile phones and run my computer monitor off it. I love it. :cool:

It's silly to consider renewables, without considering the basics such as insulation, sun tubes and phase change materials...

Further to this, there are grants available for renewable energy installation but most have the previous implementation of energy efficiency measures such as loft insulation as a precursor for applying.

The Electricity requirements at the toilets outside of the Fox House Inn is provided by solar panels. These are visible on the roof of the toilet block.

On a notice fixed to the Car Park side wall, is a publication that offers information about them and a contact name at the Sheffield City Council.

Some years ago whilst reading about solar panels, mainly for interest, I found that Marley were intending to produce roof tiles with solar panel cells fixed to each tile. I don't know what did happen to this idea, hopefully someone could enlighten us please.

I fitted my own solar panel last year. It's an 80watt panel connected to two lesure batteries. It works all my lights (using a 240volt inverter) and cost me £550. In the summer it make loads of power so I also charge mobile phones and run my computer monitor off it. I love it. :cool:

Could you write a ' Do it Yourself paper ' and put it on the Forum please.

I'm certain a lot of people would be interested.

There is another pub (in The Lakes?) that had a planning argument over their solar panels.

They finally won. There was no other electricity supply and the design was tastefully done.

Until 6 months ago, everyone would tell you that you couldn't recoup your capital investment by the reduction in electricty costs over 20 years.

Considering the recent rises in charges, I would think twice.

At the green City Days event that took place in Hillsborough Park recently we spoke to the team doing solar panels and they cost from £100 upwards dependant on size and they start at about the same size as a small radiater

Even B&Q sell them now ( large stores eg Queens Rd) they will tell you what thaey will power etc , very helpful

That said they have installed three huge wind turbine on the new industrial estate near Catcliffe junction and last week the windmill is reputed to have come off and ended up in the central reservation of the motorway ! So perhaps not !

There is another pub (in The Lakes?) that had a planning argument over their solar panels.

They finally won. There was no other electricity supply and the design was tastefully done.

Until 6 months ago, everyone would tell you that you couldn't recoup your capital investment by the reduction in electricty costs over 20 years.

Considering the recent rises in charges, I would think twice.

I'll make a point of taking a photo the next time I go up to Fox House and putting on here via facebook link because It makes interesting reading.

You are absolutely correct, that it would appear that the costings are calculated on former prices and do not include the present and future anticipated prices for electricity.

I'm very interested, but I find it almost impossible to get any idea of the set-up and estimated running cost. Personally I believe that the solar panel is more environmentally acceptable than the Wind Turbine, What the difference exist regarding the efficiency and costing for domestic application, I do not have a clue but would welcome information.

At the green City Days event that took place in Hillsborough Park recently we spoke to the team doing solar panels and they cost from £100 upwards dependant on size and they start at about the same size as a small radiater

Even B&Q sell them now ( large stores eg Queens Rd) they will tell you what thaey will power etc , very helpful

That said they have installed three huge wind turbine on the new industrial estate near Catcliffe junction and last week the windmill is reputed to have come off and ended up in the central reservation of the motorway ! So perhaps not !

It might be what you've heard but that's total nonsense. There are two very visible wind turbines not three. Together, they are capable of making the Advanced Manufacturing Park carbon neutral. Unfortunately, during those gales we had a couple of month ago, one of the turbine's blades snapped and left hanging by a thread (they are a kind of composite material) and was later fully removed by engineers. It did not land on the parkway (or motorway for that matter). This turbine has now been fixed and in full operation and the other is still locked whilst they do safety checks.

It is not unheard of to happen, and these winds were quite extraordinary. Normally the blades tilt automatically if the winds are too strong, to slow them down, but something went wrong here.

A problem like a blade snapping is not near as bad as a nuclear melt down! lol

Archived