The Empire, Charles Street

glaham

Do you remember Skiffle groups which were all the rage in the Mid 50's. A skiffle competition was held at the Empire theatre in which our group the VESPAS competed .It was hosted by Jim Dale (folk singer).The amplification I used for my guitar was made from a valve cinema power pack which caught fire on stage .Oh such halcion days.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandmother was an usherette at the Empire in the 50's. I remember her telling me how nervous

Tommy Steele was before going on stage. She used to take him a cup of tea before he went on. She also mentioned Nat Jackley and Anne Shelton.

Guest bostonaire

i have laurel and hardy autographs from that visit to the empire if any one is interested in buying ! plus lots more of the stars of that day appearing there:)

My mother was born in the flats on Pinstone Street in 1898.

She often talked about going to the music halls and theatres including the first movies made by Green shown in a cellar on Howard St.

She also told about the many musicians and artistes that lodged or lived in the surrounding flats at the rear of Pinstone Street.

The two most famous were Donald and Dorothy Pleasance.

As I grew up she delighted in taking me as a child to all the theatres including the Empire and I loved them all.

What wonderful memories, particularly the Pantos where we would sit in the 'Gods' and boo and hiss with the best of them.

Happy Days

• 11 months later...

Hi

my dad worked at the empire say around the 1950s onwards untill it closed down and i have many autographs that are mentioned in the the notes to you he is still living and he will be 83yrs old next he has lovely memories of working there and i remember going many times

:hihi:

Hi

my dad worked at the empire say around the 1950s onwards untill it closed down and i have many autographs that are mentioned in the the notes to you he is still living and he will be 83yrs old next he has lovely memories of working there and i remember going many times

::

• 2 weeks later...

Old Mother Riley and his wife played a couple of times they were in digs next door to us on Priory Terrace,he was a bit of a misery according to the landlady. They had the Christmas Pantomimes there too and the Bloke who played Buttons was lodging next door and he gave us all tickets, darn int stalls anall tha nose.,reight posh wi were.

Archived