Positive things about Rotherham

Rotherham gets a lot of bad press. There was a "phone in" lately on one of the radio stations and they asked people to call in who could list some positive things about Rotherham, but I missed them. Can anyone help me out here?

Positive things about Rotherham....

Hard to say but I live in Rotherham but class myself as a Sheffielder - if you were born in Jessops you wil understand...

Good things about rotherham - The Chuckle Brothers, Rother Valley Country Park, The Magna Centre, RCAT ( where I went to college....) Cheaper Council tax, Goths, No Cinema ( but if you look at Rotherham counil website they have taken over meadowhall....

I may joke about this but i am a parish Councillor for part of Rotherham ( Wales Parish ) and want to be a local councillor for Rotherham in the next few years - i was born over the border (just ) so have had to get on with it....

:)

1. I've worked there for the last 15 years and the money has gone a long way to giving me a comfortable life.

2. Dennis McShane.

3. It's not far from Sheffield

4. It's not London.

thats a tough question whats good about rotherham well from a young persons point of view here goes....

magna science centre (which is pracitcally sheffield anyway!)

ulley country park and rother valley country park

ermm and well thats it in my opinion rotherham is a horrible place to live unless you like walking down the road and being in constant fear of being mugged beaten up or whatever else and knowing that the police will do nothing to help you becuase you're 16! the town centre is well ermm just a place for gangs to meet up and terrorise anyone and everyone and clfton park well you dont go through there unless you are in a big group of friends

The only good thing about Rotherham is the road out of it,thats if you can drive out or drive into rotherham its so run down its depressing,and once it was booming the market area the town,now its full of asylum seekers,and charity shops.

Originally posted by Fraser

Positive things about Rotherham....

Good things about rotherham - Rother Valley Country Park

Erm, I live at Sothall (very much Sheffield) and Rother Valley Country Park is at the end of my Road.

Most of Rotherham is a bit of a 'hole. The "good" area, Moorgate, is supposedly a nice place to live but if you ask me its just an overpriced area as its nearish to the town centre and has no good areas surrounding it. Rotherham is a good place to go to look at litter, big electric pylons, graffiti, a run down town centre, and factories on every corner with chimneys giving off god knows what. On the plus side, theres rarely any bad traffic, and if you dare live there, its a very cheap place to live. Worst part of Rotherham? From what I've seen I'd probably say Dalton.

My only comment is that I've two friends who live there (on the Sheffield side), who seem perfectly happy there and, from what I've seen, seem to be living in an attractive estate. They're not there purely out of choice (I think they work in Rotherham and one has parents living there), but if the place was desparately bad I know they'd be able to afford somewhere in Sheffield. Rotherham's negative points (it's desolateness in particular I can agree with having driven through) are obviously not serious enough to warrant the extra commuting distance of living 5 miles further away.

hmmmm a little bird told me you were all having a dig at rotherham. Well im not having that! I for one am happy living here. How many times have i or my family been robbed? Once! and that was when we left the car parked in york city centre.

My house is very nice and the neighbours are nice too. The only downside is because it is so cheap to live you get some people who have obviously saved up a bit of money and move in to the nice streets like mine and bring it down a bit. Mentioning no names but *edited incase they have the internet and realise who i am, although i doubt they would be computer users somehow* Before that though it was fine and i wouldnt mind living here once i get a full time job (the only thing stopping me is the fact the person i intend living with is a sheffield snob and its ecclesall/fullwood or nothing)

The town centre however is quite crap with very few shops. It has a good market, but obviously not everyone likes markets. I dont go there very often at all, but then again compared to other city centres ive been to sheffield centre is very poor.

The hospital is very nice set in woodland so has lots of trees and squirrels and the staff are very nice, i wouldnt mind working there once ive done the degree, its as good as any in sheffield as far as medical photography is concerned.

Schools are OK but not brilliant. I went to one in rotherham and did OK for myself (or so i will find out on 14th aug)

There are a lot of scrubbers, losers, drug users and teenage mums here but to even it out there are a lot of decent folk too - just like any other town really - and i certainly dont view sheffield as superior in anything other than its size (and its shopping.)

Sorry to bore you all but i do get quite defensive about my little town. You cant slag off any town that has me for a resident and get away with it.

Archived