Positive things about Rotherham

Most of Rotherham is a bit of a 'hole. The "good" area, Moorgate, is supposedly a nice place to live but if you ask me its just an overpriced area as its nearish to the town centre and has no good areas surrounding it. Rotherham is a good place to go to look at litter, big electric pylons, graffiti, a run down town centre, and factories on every corner with chimneys giving off god knows what. On the plus side, theres rarely any bad traffic, and if you dare live there, its a very cheap place to live. Worst part of Rotherham? From what I've seen I'd probably say Dalton.[/QUO

Hey it isnt me Superlative who wrote this....dont know how that happened.

I live in Whiston. I love it! Its 10 minutes away from Sheffield centre, is right in the middle of beautiful fields and a country park and I can walk to 3 fantastic village pubs in literally 5 minutes. Its a lovely place to live, low crime levels, lovely community and clean. The only bad thing is that house prices are going through the roof around these areas.

My family moved to Moorgate from Sheffield when I was about 5 and since I was born in Shef, all the rest of my family live in Shef, I went to uni in Shef and work in Shef so I definitely consider myself a Sheffielder! I also lived in Sheffield whilst I was at uni- I don't think anyone who has walked through the moor at 10pm should/could really say anything about Rotherham town centre.

What I'm trying to say is surely there are bad and good parts to every town and city.

Hind, Golden Ball, Chequers or Sitwell.....which do you prefer?

The Golden Ball is lovely + The Hind is fab now they have rennovated it - its really beautiful but the Chequers do the best food because its all home made!!!! Some people say they're all cliquey but I can't say I've ever noticed! I don't really go into the Sitwell much though. Which one do you prefer Superlative?

Whiston crossroads - nightmare, especially those clever so-and-so's who get in the right turn lane as if to go up Moorgate and then cut you up to get back in to go straight on! The people of Rotherham have said a big NO to Supertram up Bawtry Road - the fools - how shortsighted they are. I generally find that Rotherham people have a fear of progress and prefer to live in the timewarp that is 1960.

We certainly do not want supertram in Whiston....it would connect us to areas like Manor.......all the idiots would come for a night out....then TWOK a car to travel home in......no thanks we dont want Sheffields car crime statistics!

The Golden Ball is lovely + The Hind is fab now they have rennovated it - its really beautiful but the Chequers do the best food because its all home made!!!! Some people say they're all cliquey but I can't say I've ever noticed! I don't really go into the Sitwell much though. Which one do you prefer Superlative?

It depends on my frame of mind at the time. My current favourite is The Chequers......but it changes from time to time.

I live in rotherham and love it, its a village ... thorpe hesley, rural, quiet, friendly, conservative and pretty.

At the bottom of my road is horse stables, surrounded by farmland, beyond that.... open countryside, sheep, cows, horses ect, 10 minutes from rotherham town centre (easier access and cheaper parking than sheff town centre) 15 mins the other way ... barnsley town centre, 2 mins from M1, 1 junction from meadowhall.

what more could i want?

Well, I was born in rotherham and lived there for 40 years, i now live in sheffield, so here are my views.

Its a S*** hole. The council have single handed managed to destroy a once vibrant community. Yes Maggie played her part but the councils response has been to fill the town with people in shell suits, smoking cigs, and pushing double pushchairs with 2 scuffy kids in. None of them work and the town has become a centre for benefit scroungers and parasites. The town centre, once beautiful and leafy, with restaurants, delicatessen shops, tailors, department stores, gents outfitters, hardware shops and jewellers is now full of plywood covered windows, what everyone wants and pounlands, charity shops, amusement arcades for the scroungers and parasites and shops squatted by people selling crap toys to a population too thick to know any difference. The council have spent millions doing nothing but destroy the infrastructure and have adetermined strategy of keeping anyone not in a shell suit out of the town. Parking is whoaful, although there is nothing to go to the place for. What could you buy in rotherham that you could not get in any suburb of sheffield. The new council offices are a waste of taxpayers money, serving only to provide nighttime parking for boy racers. There is no single employer within the town boundarys of any note save the ones offering low paid employment to the few that can read and right, in call centres.

I am so glad I left, I've never wanted to go back, see no reason to go back, and think that all the thickies , parasites and scroungers have got exactly what they deserve.

Archived