Positive things about Rotherham

Throughout the US there are names of English cities, towns, and villages scattered from Maine to California. There are Manchesters coming out the wazoo, Londons by the ton. Falmouths, Chathams, and tauntons. But as far as I know, not one Rotherham. Not that it matters, there isn't a Barnsley either.

Superlative - When did you last visit Dalton? All the old terraced houses are long gone, now replaced with a smart new estate. Go through Dalton Parva to Woodlaithes & Wickersley and you could be in the middle of Derbyshire if you didn't know otherwise. I get the feeling that a lot of people haven't the faintest idea what Rotherham is like and only know the town centre - just like me really before I moved there!

I agree, most of the threads seem to be from people making sweeping comments. I recently moved to Sheffield but lived in Dalton for years and never had or saw any trouble. My family still live there on a quiet cul de sac and it is a lovely quiet area with fields to the back. As for Rotherham town centre - yes it has gone downhill but that isn't the fault of the council, this began when Meadowhall opened (not due to poverty as someone mentioned) so if the people of Rotherham stopped shopping in Rotherham then how can the shops survive?? As for the sweeping comments about scroungers and under aged pregnancies etc, I went to St Bernards, TRC and then uni as did the rest of my family and friends and all have careers.

I think Rotherham is a lovely little place to live but for now due to other commitments I can't live there

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how long this discussion has been going on for but I have only just joined and thought I would voice my thoughts.

I have lived in Rotherham all my life (not through want of trying to get out)!! I hate the place, its disgusting!!!! The town centre is awful, full of horrible people, and rubbish shops. The public transport system is also very atrocious. Statutory bodies only seem interested in the dreggs of society. The best thing about Rotherham is the Road out!!!!! Someone said to me recently and it is so true - ROTHERHAM IS THE VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED!!!!!!!

My advice is get out while you can!!!!!!:help:

:)Hi there,

Well, I live in Rotherham and I'm not going to blindly stand up for it just because I do.

Rotherham and Sheffield are both in South Yorkshire and therefore practically the same place. Technically I live in Rotherham, 3 minutes drive from Meadowhall, but when I meet people from other places, I just say Sheffield, as lots more people know Sheffield more than they do Rotherham.

There are nice areas in Rotherham

Kimberworth

Wickersley

Whiston

Bramley (parts)

Thrybergh (parts)

Same as there are crap areas

Dalton

Canklow

East Herringthorpe.

People that say Rotherham is full of druggies etc should open their eyes more everywhere they go. I see lots of them when I go to Sheffield town centre, but having said that, probably percentage wise no more than I would see in Rotherham.

Every place has it's bad areas, whether it be a small town, or a city.

I travel around a lot with my job, and I go to places and as would most people form an impression of a place within a few minutes. That impression however doesn't mean it's a true account of the place.

I'm just grateful where I live I have a nice house, and there's not been any crime on this street that I know of for the past few years.

True- there's jack all in Rotherham town centre. But to those that say it's all charity shops, as far as I can remember it more or less always was charity shops etc. So you don't have a huge selection of shops there? There are still some shops where you could buy just about everything you need. Rotherham itself isn't to blame for this, it's the developers that build elsewhere. At least we have Parkgate Retail World and Meadowhall, as well as Sheffield close by do we ever feel the need.

Rotherham never claimed to be great, it's just a town. The fact is that many people living in cities automatically look down on the nearby small towns.

I was down south lately and someone a lot higher than me in my company was talking to me about Sheffield. When I explained that technically I live in Rotherham, but almost Sheffield, he replied "Rotherham's a funny little place isn't it?". I asked him what he meant and he couldn't answer! I found it amusing, as I can't stand London! The hustle and bustle, and there's so many people! I also don't like the attitude of us being "Northern Monkey's" and people taking the **** out of my accent? I don't get upset, just makes me wonder why some think they are superior to others!

I just think myself lucky that us guys up north have lower costs of living than those down South. We are probably not as stressed as them as well.

A good example of why we should be happy in South Yorkshire is this:

An average 2/3 bedroomed house in an avarage areas in Rotherham costs £450-500 per month.

A 1 bedroomed flat above a shop in a decent area in London is £650 a month.

I'm happy where I am, be it Rotherham or Sheffield :P

Rotherham gets a bad press, yet for the basics of life bar unemployment which is a bit higher, beats Sheffield hands down.

• Rotherham has much lower crime per 1,000 people with sexual offences, robbery, motor theft, burgalry, theft from a vehicle much lower. Sheffield only "winning" with slightly less violence against the person.

• House prices cost on average £30,000 less in Rotherham.

• Rotherham is ahead in the primary and secondary school achievements averages.

• Council tax is lower.

Rotherham leads in pretty much the main important things people look for when they move.

I'm also from rotherham and I must say I'm not proud.

Whiston,Wickersley and moorgate are good sought after areas to live,but the the majority of the areas that are left have a lot of scum (sorry to say) and I love the fact that there is a population of asylum seekers who live in some of these areas because it annoys the hell out of these particular "natives".East Herringthorpe for example is nearly FULL of teenage families with about 43 children each.The local pub "davey lamp" entertains a completely different species.My mother-in-law lives there and even though there are no people of different race in the immediate area she does get the BNP loo roll through the letterbox from time to time.

Rotherham overall does have some VERY decent folk but it IS getting spoilt by thuggish behaviour.Its near enough impossible to have a trouble free night out in rotherham town centre on a weekend.

PUBS+POUNDSHOPS=rotherham

Archived