Positive things about Rotherham

I live in Whiston. I love it! Its 10 minutes away from Sheffield centre, is right in the middle of beautiful fields and a country park and I can walk to 3 fantastic village pubs in literally 5 minutes. Its a lovely place to live, low crime levels, lovely community and clean. The only bad thing is that house prices are going through the roof around these areas.

My family moved to Moorgate from Sheffield when I was about 5 and since I was born in Shef, all the rest of my family live in Shef, I went to uni in Shef and work in Shef so I definitely consider myself a Sheffielder! I also lived in Sheffield whilst I was at uni- I don't think anyone who has walked through the moor at 10pm should/could really say anything about Rotherham town centre.

What I'm trying to say is surely there are bad and good parts to every town and city.

which are the three fantastic village pubs in Whiston.hope your not including The Chequers and The Sitwell in that comment cos they aint been village pubs for a long time,dont know what The Golden Ball is like now cos I aint been in for years

• 6 months later...

O.k theres been a lot of stick on here from the Dee Dahs about Rotherham when the op was aboutpositive things Iv lived in Rotherham all my life and some of the descriptions about certain places in Rotherham makes me wonder if the posters have ever set foot out of Sheffied.Rotherham is just like any South Yorkshire town/city it has its good points and its bad points and like any other place round here Thatcher ripped the guts out of it when she decimated the coal and steel industry and like the other places Rotherham at first found it hard to readjust hopefully we are all getting back on our feet.To be perfectly honest I think Doncaster is proving to be the town that the other places should take notice of,the council there dont seem to be afraid to pour money back into the well being of the town.I know the town center in Rotherham is not up to scratch but Sheffield ,for a city, is suffering just as bad..blame Meadowhall for that at least over here we are just about hanging on to our outside market and its traditions,the lack of one in Sheffield ,considering its size,is a downright disgrace..again I blame Meadowhall.

Lets have a bit of levity..Rotherham united have got a small football team but we know we have..Sheffield have got two small football teams but sadly their fans havent realised that yet they still insist on living on past glories..we never had any so it doesnt bother us

Problem with Rotherham is a labour council stranglehold. If they don't get their own way they just make it impossible for their opponents. Last elections they lost Maltby (shock - 5 years ago if they'd put a red rosette on a donkey it'd have won) Since then they've just stopped the new council doing stuff for the sake of it. Guess they reckon they'll get in next time and say "look how little was done when we weren't in power"

Rotherham gets a lot of bad press. There was a "phone in" lately on one of the radio stations and they asked people to call in who could list some positive things about Rotherham, but I missed them. Can anyone help me out here?

I'm positive rotherham is a dump

Archived