Positive things about Rotherham

doncaster is a lot better than sheffield now, have you being? the new frenchgate which as the same shops as meadowhall as opened in the town centre above the new interchange and then theres the market and the town centre, shops in the frenchgate include, dorothy perkins, hmv, starbucks coffee, primark, republic, next, debenhams etc some are still vacant but most are open now its 3/4 the size of meadowhall now much better than crystal peaks

There is no way Frechgate is as big as you claim it to be, even with its recent extension. The only problem with Frenchgate is that it is in a small town centre and as far as I remember there is sod all parking there so given the choice people will continue along the M18/M1 and head to Meadowhall because it is more accessible.

There is no way Frechgate is as big as you claim it to be, even with its recent extension. The only problem with Frenchgate is that it is in a small town centre and as far as I remember there is sod all parking there so given the choice people will continue along the M18/M1 and head to Meadowhall because it is more accessible.

LMFAO........ Frenchgate is big, officially just under two thirds the size of Meadowhall, which makes it the 17th largest shopping centre in the UK, and the 4th largest city/town centre shopping centre in the UK. It currently operates approx 125 stores compared to approx 270 at Meadowhall. Full operation will see about 150 or so stores at Frenchgate. Since the opening of the new extension over 1.25 million customers have passed through its doors, which equals about 55% of Meadowhall's intake of customers. The difference between Frenchgate and Meadowhall though, is Frenchgate is located in the town centre. As for parking...there is a huge car park on the interchange.

How you can say Doncaster is a small town centre is beyond me when it stretches as far as the markets, to the new developments where the new college is being built, to the police station and old bus station.....you call this small?

I would have to say for city/town centre shopping, as things stand now, it is a close run thing between Sheffield and Doncaster, but I do think Doncaster may edge it. Out of town shopping, then Sheffield heads it with Meadowhall, but then Meadowhall is the best there is and there's only a handful of places what would come close to Sheffield in that respect (including Leeds, Liverpool), so it's hardly detrimental to Doncaster.

Town centre shopping in Rotherham is chronically poor, but as out-of-town investments go, Rotherham are top of the tree. Parkgate (already the country's 4th largest retail park is due for huge expansion, the YES, project, Magna, and as already mention the Manvers developments.

Sheffield is the fastest growing city in the UK. Doncaster has seen a 70% rise in its first 2006 quarter for business location/re-location. Both of these, Sheffield and Doncaster, are undoubtedly on their way up, and Rotherham is sitting comfortably between them on the M18 and A630 corridor. Rotherham will benefit hugely because of this, and in 5 years time I reckon we'll begin to see evidence of this filtering its way through to Rotherham town centre, much in the same way as is happening in Sheffield and Doncaster.

I live in Whiston. I love it! Its 10 minutes away from Sheffield centre, is right in the middle of beautiful fields and a country park and I can walk to 3 fantastic village pubs in literally 5 minutes. Its a lovely place to live, low crime levels, lovely community and clean. The only bad thing is that house prices are going through the roof around these areas.

My family moved to Moorgate from Sheffield when I was about 5 and since I was born in Shef, all the rest of my family live in Shef, I went to uni in Shef and work in Shef so I definitely consider myself a Sheffielder! I also lived in Sheffield whilst I was at uni- I don't think anyone who has walked through the moor at 10pm should/could really say anything about Rotherham town centre.

What I'm trying to say is surely there are bad and good parts to every town and city.

I live in Whiston. I love it! Its 10 minutes away from Sheffield centre, is right in the middle of beautiful fields and a country park and I can walk to 3 fantastic village pubs in literally 5 minutes. Its a lovely place to live, low crime levels, lovely community and clean. The only bad thing is that house prices are going through the roof around these areas.

My family moved to Moorgate from Sheffield when I was about 5 and since I was born in Shef, all the rest of my family live in Shef, I went to uni in Shef and work in Shef so I definitely consider myself a Sheffielder! I also lived in Sheffield whilst I was at uni- I don't think anyone who has walked through the moor at 10pm should/could really say anything about Rotherham town centre.

What I'm trying to say is surely there are bad and good parts to every town and city.

It is a lovely village, but a bit more than 10 mins from Sheffield centre if you're going to work! Some mornings and evenings Parkway/M1 is more like a car park! Whiston is really close to the motorway and Parkway links, but if you're relying on public transport to get to Sheffield, there's normally only 1 bus an hour. We moved from Bramley last year for precisely that reason. We've got rid of one car (it just sat in a car park all day when I was at work), and have a good choice of public transport on our doorstep now to Sheffield and Meadowhall. As you say, good and bad in most places.

bank, pound shop, shoe shop, bank, pub, pound shop, pound shop, chairty shop, bank, phone shop, (you get the idea)

Sad to say it but town centre is dying on its arse when Marks and spencer is replaced by Hitchens!

Poundworld is the best shop in the centre (perhaps wilkos runs close)

The town centre is poor. I usually go to Parkgate since all the shops have moved there + free parking.

i know but i get a funny feeling when I go there...as if its a parellel world. i know it looks like marks and spencers but it just doesn't feel like one....same with boots and next.

Archived