Positive things about Rotherham

Erm, I live at Sothall (very much Sheffield) and Rother Valley Country Park is at the end of my Road.

I think Rotherham took over the running of it in its entirety when Sheffield (and the Derbyshire authorities) couldn't afford it / couldn't be bothered.

• 2 months later...

Rotherham has a pretty good market and the town center is a lot nicer than it was a few years ago now its been done up. I also, personally, feel a lot safer walking through Rotherham at night than Sheffield but maybe thats because I know the area a lot better.

Chris Wolstenholme, the bassist out of Muse is from Rotherham originally as well.

Good things about Rotherham:

• the Anti Poverty Forum HQ, oh sorry the money was spent on having a good time by a certain Rotherham councillor and his mates.
  • The demise of Marks & Spencer in the town centre-a good thing for people who don't like M&S but prefer ex catalogue shops.
  • The political balance that makes for a healthy council (about 58-5)
  • The traffic towards Parkgate - means the shops are doing good business and people don't mind it taking ages to get there
  • The lack of any department stores in the town except Primark - so people don't spend as much
    The lack of ambition of many young Rotherham people - they already think they've got it all just by living there (question to one of my kids a few years ago in a pub in Bramley - 'but why did you want to leave Rovvrem?' Answer - 'education, travel, work, fun - pick any one!')

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative, just my experience as a recent resident. It may seem quite different to others

Archived