Sharrowvale Rd past and present, local characters, bygone shops, reminiscences

Draggletail

Sharrowvale Rd - a vibrant area with pubs, shops and a thriving local community.... must be lots of tales here ;)

Post your your reminiscences and stories of local characters, forgotten shops etc.

Kick of with a difficult one - does anyone remember what business was there before 'Down to Earth' moved in?

And does anyone remember 'Drunken Vicky' who lived on Porter Terrace?

down to earth has been around longer than me but remember when cafe ceres was doublefronted and had a deli there too?-those were the days!

I moved to Hunters Bar in '83 and Down to Earth was there then - I used to look at the ads in their window for a house share.

I remember in those days they used to weigh the herbs and spices while you waited (you could cause a serious queue if you wanted several half/quarter ounces of this and that :D

Regarding La Ceres, I fell out with the co-owner (Neil) - I used to run a continental style crepes trailer next to the Hunters Bar School, and because he couldn't take the competition he reported me to the Highways Department rather than have a chat about it :roll:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s19365

Is the laundry still there ? The picture is pretty much as I remember it in the 1950s - apart from the clothes :)

There's still a laundrette opposite the Porter Cottage pub on the corner of Stewart/Sharrowvale Rd Greybeard, if that's the one you mean.

The photo you posted used to be on The Lescar taproom wall, we used to puzzle about the tall distant 'aerial looking thing' left of the smoking chimney.

Do you know what it was?

Back in the 1970s around 74 I think, I lived at Osberton place in a little Flat, it was the Big (end of Terrace house),(converted to Flats)the Front door was on Osberton place,but the house faced Cowlishaw rd/Junction rd, I used to use that Laundrette on Sharrowvale rd, also I remember the Electronics shop,that became "down to earth" I bought a kit there to build your own "Bugging device" it was a minature FM transmitter.

I also remember the Beer Off shop at the junction of Cowlishaw/sharrowvale rd, I used to buy Soda Syphons from there(Deposit required),as my girlfreind liked whisky and soda.

Also remember the Butchers Shop across from the Beer off.it belonged to the Owner of our flats,he was a tallish chap, he had dark hair, wore Glasses, his name escapes me.

Just remembered the Spar shop also, my girlfreind used to shop there regular, at xmas the lady owner used to give All her regular customers a little xmas gift, can't imagine that happening nowadays.

Thats all for now, if I remember any other info, will post again.

Steve

I remember two places on Sharrowvale Road in the late 80's, Mr.BB's I think the name was, it was a vegetarian restaraunt and the old book shop that had a cellar full of old car and bike books and magazines.

i loved that book shop where did they go never found another like it

Archived