Friends Reunited - the great scam?

Round House

Sheffield ex-pats is a great site for tracking down old buddies, but Friends Reunited.. dear oh dear. Has anyone tried it? What a scam. They invite you to 'upgrade' your membership so that you can contact other members. Their email says:

"Contacting old friends is one of the full member benefits. It costs

£7.50 to upgrade and once you've paid your membership fee you can contact as many people as you like."

What they dont make clear in this 'advice' is that this only lasts six months, and once they have your credit card details stored, they keep taking the money, unless you log in and alter the settings to stop them.

I think its pretty shoddy behavior from an organisation that ought to know better. Anyone else had bad experiences with Friends Reunited?

I've been signed on with them a while now and haven't had that happen to me. Just an email telling me when my year is almost up ...I wasn't going to renew last time though (but I couldn't not when it came to it) However, what I don't like about it is that yes, I can contact anyone on there cos I've paid, but if they want to send me a reply, they can't if they are not paid up members.....now I think that's a bit of a con and if I do contact anyone, I try to get an e.mail address in my initial e.mail.

I'v never had a problem with this. For the last few years, I've paid my membership fee, and have received replies without any problem. In addition to this, they have never billed my credit card without my authorization. However, this year, I've decided to wait until there is somebody new I want to contact before renewing.

Joanl is correct the notify you that your subscription is due and yo accept that if you have paid by card that they will use the same details. You have the option to refuse or pay in some other way, cant see the problem they do tell you at the start of the period that they will do this and you can opt out

I had the option to renew for another year last July but I didn't click the 'yes' button so they didn't take the money and although the option to renew is still there for me it seems they won't use my card to take money until I tell them to.

Sheffield ex-pats is a great site for tracking down old buddies, but Friends Reunited.. dear oh dear. Has anyone tried it? What a scam. They invite you to 'upgrade' your membership so that you can contact other members. Their email says:

"Contacting old friends is one of the full member benefits. It costs

£7.50 to upgrade and once you've paid your membership fee you can contact as many people as you like."

What they don't make clear in this 'advice' is that this only lasts six months, and once they have your credit card details stored, they keep taking the money, unless you log in and alter the settings to stop them.

I think its pretty shoddy behavior from an organisation that ought to know better. Anyone else had bad experiences with Friends Reunited?

Have I subscribed to a different Friends Reunited, because it was clearly explained to me. The period of registration and the expiry date and the renewal procedure, did you read the email you got after you paid

Have I subscribed to a different Friends Reunited, because it was clearly explained to me. The period of registration and the expiry date and the renewal procedure, did you read the email you got after you paid

Thats the point tho. When you go into a shop, do you rely on the till receipt to find out how much you were charged? No, its all priced up front. I just think that Friends Reunited need to more upfront and transparent about how much they are going to bill, you, and how often. I suspect that if they did, even fewer people would bother upgrading.

Archived