Friends Reunited - the great scam?

Round House

:loopy:

Sheffield ex-pats is a great site for tracking down old buddies, but Friends Reunited.. dear oh dear. Has anyone tried it? What a scam. They invite you to 'upgrade' your membership so that you can contact other members. Their email says:

"Contacting old friends is one of the full member benefits. It costs

£7.50 to upgrade and once you've paid your membership fee you can contact as many people as you like."

What they dont make clear in this 'advice' is that this only lasts six months, and once they have your credit card details stored, they keep taking the money, unless you log in and alter the settings to stop them.

I think its pretty shoddy behavior from an organisation that ought to know better. Anyone else had bad experiences with Friends Reunited?

old members pay 7.50 for the year, newer members pay the same for 6 months, tell me that's fair

Sheffield ex-pats is a great site for tracking down old buddies, but Friends Reunited.. dear oh dear. Has anyone tried it? What a scam. They invite you to 'upgrade' your membership so that you can contact other members. Their email says:

"Contacting old friends is one of the full member benefits. It costs

£7.50 to upgrade and once you've paid your membership fee you can contact as many people as you like."

What they dont make clear in this 'advice' is that this only lasts six months, and once they have your credit card details stored, they keep taking the money, unless you log in and alter the settings to stop them.

I think its pretty shoddy behavior from an organisation that ought to know better. Anyone else had bad experiences with Friends Reunited?

I recently renewed my membership with Friends Reunited and I was a little disappointed to find I was only getting 6 months AFTER I paid.

Nowhere did it mention it was only 6 months until the deal was done.

I've just been on there and changed my accout to "on off membership" now (it was on continious membership - which I didn't know) - why would I pay £15 for something when I can find old friends on Facebook for free?

I had the same experience as jmdee, sandie and others. I’ve never known FriendsReunited to charge my credit card without telling me first. Like Joanl, I ask for an email address when I first write to an old school pal etc., so they don’t need to pay anything. I regard the membership fee as money well spent - though I suppose I’m biased, as thanks to FriendsReunited I am now very happily married to my 1960s girlfriend … :) :)

Aah, that's lovely. I'm married to my 1960's boyfriend but, have been since 1970 but, I'm pleased that you obviously found each other again.

I met another 1960's boyfriend at a school reunion and I'm glad I didn't marry that one though! He's got no hair and he's been married 3 times, not that having no hair has anything to do with it, just an observation. When we got to the reunion I was looking for the lad I'd last seen at school with black Elvis-like hair and good looking too, instead someone had to point him out to me as I could only see this this bald guy who looked like "death warmed up"

I've just told mrs hillsbro about your "other" 1960s boyfriend - she says that she is glad that I've worn a bit better! I am still quite well thatched and hadn't been married until March last year when Marion and I were wed at Normanby Hall (we were on Yorkshire TV's "Calendar" programme twice, first with the romantic story and then the wedding). And this grumpy erstwhile bachelor has mellowed a bit since getting married and moving to Lincolnshire. Well done FriendReunited. Better late than never!:):)

I've just told mrs hillsbro about your "other" 1960s boyfriend - she says that she is glad that I've worn a bit better! I am still quite well thatched and hadn't been married until March last year when Marion and I were wed at Normanby Hall (we were on Yorkshire TV's "Calendar" programme twice, first with the romantic story and then the wedding). And this grumpy erstwhile bachelor has mellowed a bit since getting married and moving to Lincolnshire. Well done FriendReunited. Better late than never!:):)

What a lovely story, I'm pleased to learn that romance is not yet dead, good luck!

I've just been on there and changed my accout to "on off membership" now (it was on continious membership - which I didn't know) - why would I pay £15 for something when I can find old friends on Facebook for free?

Many thanks for this advice. I had wondered over the years how to get off this merry go round; I had the feeling that I was on it for life with little to show for my annual subscription. Thanks to you, I am now back in control.

Mike

Joan mentions that she tries to get an email address in her initial email. A few wks bk I decided to bite the bullet and pay up for 6 mo. in FR. Sent out a bunch of messages. No replies. probably for the same reason that I didn't reply when I used to get them. The people I sent them to aren't paid up members so can't reply.

Anyone know if messages are screened by a moderator, i.e. if it's set up so that email addresses are automatically removed?

I thought of sending around another message containing my email address.

Thks.

Btw, Duffems, your story about the Elvis turned bald guy is hilarious even if it is a bit close to home. :):)

Archived