Back to Back Housing

• 2 weeks later...

Depends what type of info you're actually looking for. A good place to start would be the City Library Archive section. The staff in there would pretty much be able to give you advice on how and where to look. Happy hunting.

The most important slum clearance was in the 20's , thats why estates such as the Manor, Woodthorpe and the Arbourthorne were created. My nan who is still living at the tender age of 96 grew up in Scotland street in houses that made back to back look positively desirable. All those houses were arranged around yards, and each yard had it's communal outside loo's. The cellars were inevitably full of rats, the house had mice and blackclocks would live in the wall filling and come out at night. By all accounts the best way to scupper them would be to mix plaster of paris with sugar and lay it down as bait, they'd eat it get half way up the wall and explode!

• 4 months later...

I lived in the old back to backs at bottom of newman road wincobank.

they were pulled down around 69 and it was a lot of years till they built on it.

i beleive prince naseem the boxer lives in the new buildings that they finally did replace them with.

the old days in the back to backs were the best years of my life.

tara,

naseem's family might still live round there, (not impossible, even with all the money he's earnt with his boxing) but, naseem himself doesn't.

AFAIK, he has a big, swish place in one of the "monied" suburbs, Whirlow, S11, and trains in gmn near Pymouth/ lynmouth rd ain abbeydale.

PT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I lived in heeley for 20yrs on Foster Road which had back to back houses leading on to gleadless road opposite was the heeley church,we had an outside loo & a bath hung on the wall outside our back door oh those was the day's.lol

Originally posted by fuzbuz

Does any one know any web sites where i can get past info on my house ??

As someone else has pointed out if you visit the central library in town and visit the local studies section upstairs you find all the electoral listings for sheffield from about 2002 going back to late 1800's so you should be able to indentify past tennants and maybe get an idea of when your house was built if you dont already know. If your house is over 100 years old, you could try looking for it online on either the 1901 or 1891 census.

I remember the old back to backs on Bradfield Road/Owlerton Green when I was a young kid. We had friends who lived there and we lived in the flats opposite. The houses were really small and pokey. We loved it when they pulled them down as we then had a huge are of land to play on! We had our den for many years amongst the rubble!!

My grandmother lived in a back to back on Denmark Road, just off Heeley Green. It was a one up and one down and to go to the loo she had to come out of the house, walk up the road a little, then turn left up a gennel to the back yard where the toilets were located. Certainly wouldn't want to be taken short during the night or after a heavy night on the town. Can you imagine the bucket brigade each morning ? :D