Back to Back Housing

Originally posted by tara

Our old Back to Back only had one downstairs room for everything.

one bedroom and an attic which was called a garrett in those days. There was also a large coal cellar and a pantry at the top of it. talk was, that a woman had been murdered in our cellar

so you can imagine, as a child i wouldnt go near it.

every few houses had an entry and a back yard , which were called courts. The back yard toilets were shared by five or six families, two from the front and three or four from the back.

Hi Tara,

This is a true back to back, one family living in the front, one in the back. Ive never come across anyone who has lived in one. Where was it located? When was it pulled down?

• 3 years later...

Just read Tara"s thread about when she lived on Newman Rd, in the back to backs and the bit about George & Maud Moverly"s shop. I was only speaking to Brian, Maud"s son, this morning on the phone. I also lived on Newman Rd, 5 doors above Moverly"s shop at no 77, born and bred in Wincobank, when Wincobank was classed as a village, great place to live then, we had nothing, but would"nt have missed it for the world. But then got married and moved down to Attercliffe and lived on Beall St, for a couple years or so (another great place to live,!!), before moving to Rotherham, Great memorys of the place and the people.:thumbsup:

Hi there Gethro, what a great suprise is it to hear from someone who actualy lived in the Back to backs on Newman Road.

These are some families i remember,starting from the bottom and including the courts.

Luxons,Redfearns,Makins, Fearnleys 1, Nellie Nelson, sinkaviches, Aggie wayne,mrs kelly,

Worthingtons 1, Whittingtons, The sadlers had number 59, (The Jacksons had number 61 and then Mr Smith who had a limp.) Worthingtons 2, Ada Mills, the Robinsons, Fearnleys 2, Bonsals, Ginger John,? the knights,Websters 1 Websters 2,Ainsworths, Mrs cheeseman.

Georges back shop door was next door to the young Fearnleys, Johns family. moira,kevin.or kevan as his mum use to shout.

There was another young lad higher up who had to have an eye operation. to straighten his eyes Cant remember the family name.

Do you remember the chip shop just above challoners that closed down in the early 60s.

Wincobank Hotel pie and pea suppers, my parents went to.

I had a good pal in that cottage/house just side of garages named jill Brown,she had a golden Lab.

My dad use to play for the wincobank football team in his 30s, he'd get the younger ones calling for him to play. So he couldnt have been that bad a player.

His sister got knocked down by a train while she was trying to stop someone from commiting suicide when she was 15. Thats why the bridge was put there near royal oak.

Unfortunately not even picture sheffield website have any pics of the actual back to backs

on Newman, only Robinhood rd.

Anyone find any please let me know, ive waited years.

My paper round was mostly to back to back house's and I would deliver around 18 stars to each yard 150 papers took about 15 miniutes this was for Brandwoods on St.Phillips Road the second part of the round was Watery Street and the bottom part of St. Phillips Road which were not back to back this was in the late 1950s I think they were demolished around that time as well.

Hi Tara, Great to here from somebody from Newman Rd. Maud Moverly is now in a nursing home, somewhere up Longly, Brian & Brenda, (his sister,) visit her every week, she is quite frail now. Still trying to remember some of the names near us. I lived at no 77, with my mom & dad, (he played in goal for Wincobank,!!) brother Barry,& sister Gloria. At 75 was the Liversidge"s, no 73 was my grandparents, the Chapmans, the Darby"s at no 71, the Bonsall"s at no 69, Moverly"s shop at no 67, below them, bottom side of the entry, was an old lady called Mrs Tricket (she died in the early 50"s.) then the Sadlers, Mrs Nelson, the Worthingtons. (the memory"s failing a bit now,!) The chipshop above Challoner"s ,was run by Mrs Hughes, that was no 52, & next door to them was the Lindly"s, we lived bang across from them. I have a photo of the chipshop somewhere, i"ll try and dig it out.

What happened to Karen Moverley.

We were in number 63 , other side of entry from George. i was born in that house in 1957.

Did you witness those large Geese walking down Newman Road and taking flight at the bottom,it was a talking point at that time.

I was born at Low Road, Woodland View, in a "sort of" back to back house. That is - it had three rooms (one down, one up and one further up) but there was nothing backed on to it..:?. The toilet was a 30-yard stroll across the yard and was shared with next door (they were posh - they also had a cellar...). The houses, together with an adjacent row of 12 larger ones (affectionately known as the "mucky dozen") were demolished in 1964 and most of the occupants rehoused by the council in the Roscoe Bank development.

Hi Tara, Last time i spoke to Karen, she was with Maud in Parkgate Retail World, at that time she was living somewhere out Worksop way. The Geese you mentioned were ours, we had a load of Geese, Ducks, Hens, Chickens & Rabbits, on the big allotment opposite the Wincobank Hotel. It took my mother, grandmother & a few neighbours ages to get them back on the allotment.!!!. Haven"t found the photo of the chipshop yet, but have found several photos showing Flo Webster, her daughter Elain, my sister Gloria with her friend Mary Smith,( Mary lived in the yard above ours in the bottom house.) plus several more, all showing Challoner"s farm & the Gas Tank in the backgrond. I found these old photos, with a lot more,in an old tin box after my mother passed away. Going to spend a few happy hours going through them, when i can find time.!!!!!.