Back to Back Housing

I was born in Hammond Strret in a back to back house in 1954. We moved in 1958 as they were due for demolition. Hammond Street is still there but has flats or maisonettes there now.

I also grew up in Hammond Street,before moving back to Hillsborough but still spent a lot of time at my grandmothers and aunts in Watery Lane and Hammond Street.I loved it I don't know how all those large families fitted into those small houses.

I also grew up in Hammond Street,before moving back to Hillsborough but still spent a lot of time at my grandmothers and aunts in Watery Lane and Hammond Street.I loved it I don't know how all those large families fitted into those small houses.

Hi, my aunt and uncle lived in Watery lane with their children. Their name was Brindley.

I had an aunt who lived in a back-to-back house somewhere along Infirmary Road. The houses surrounded a courtyard, in which there were the privies and the cold water tap. The houses on the inside of the square faced onto the courtyard, and the houses on the outside faced onto the road. To make a cup of tea, aunt used to have to take the kettle, and walk round the outside to the entry, and go into the courtyard to fill the kettle at the tap, then walk back with the kettle full of water.

Although some people tried to "personalise" the privies, I'm not sure that there was one for every house, certainly if you needed one you went to the first that was empty.

When aunt was taken ill a neighbour used to take her book to the Post Office to get her pension for her. When she died, the neighbour cleared out her bank account, so the relatives got nowt.

John

Hi Harvey I can't recall the the name but it was quite a long lane I think it ran from what they called The holler near The TIP right down past the Infirmary.

They lived in 9 court.

In 1920 my grandparents9Brindley) had a shop at the corner of Wentworth and Burlington street and later lived at the bottom of Martin street before moving onto the Sutton estate.

Hi Harvey I can't recall the the name but it was quite a long lane I think it ran from what they called The holler near The TIP right down past the Infirmary.

They lived in 9 court.

In 1920 my grandparents(Brindley) had a shop at the corner of Wentworth and Burlington street and later lived at the bottom of Martin street before moving onto the Sutton estate.

They lived in 9 court.

In 1920 my grandparents(Brindley) had a shop at the corner of Wentworth and Burlington street and later lived at the bottom of Martin street before moving onto the Sutton estate.

I remember the shop if I remember correctly on the other corner opposite the shop was The Burlington Pub,and opposite diagnally was Gambles Chip Shop.But that is all I recall.