Weird brick structure...

I've gone past it probably thoussands of times and have sat on the bench on top of it and yet I'm not sure what it is.

On Chesterfield road just past Derbyshire Lane going on up the hill you go past Woodbank Crescent and then in the hillside a short distance on you see this odd brick built archway with a viewing point on the top of it. It's right next to the steps that lead from Chesterfield road up to Woodbank Crescent and as a friend has been asking me what it was and I don't know I thought I'd throw it out to the forum.

What you need to do is 'Ask Wookie'.

I believe it is the remains of 'Mulligans Mansion'. Originally the home of a rag and bone man and his family. It was converted to flats, had some scruffy families living there and then demolished sometime in the sixties.

What you need to do is 'Ask Wookie'.

I believe it is the remains of 'Mulligans Mansion'. Originally the home of a rag and bone man and his family. It was converted to flats, had some scruffy families living there and then demolished sometime in the sixties.

Lol, have not heard that for a while.. :hihi: so is that really what it was :D

Lol, have not heard that for a while.. :hihi: so is that really what it was :D

Yes, as far as I know this information is correct, but that is all I know, Wookie asked the same question some time ago and it turned out his mum used to live behind it...

You ought to pop back for a visit...

I thought I remembered something about it being the site of a house but if so it must of been a rather odd looking place as the remaining brick archway doesn't look at all like anything house related.

Maybe it's the bricked up entrance of one of the many mythological tunnels that are supposedly all over the place.

Further research is required I think.

Yes the mulligan's mansion was covered in the recent local free magazine "Active 8", which is basically 30 pages of adverts, and 4 pages of something to read. There was even some drawings of what the building looked like.

It seems that someone has recently cleaned up the site and removed a load of ivy. Now the brick wall is falling down and the council has put some barriers around it.

I've just done a quick google search and found nothing relevant. I can see in the wall there is what looks like a gate opening but can't picture what the rest of the building must of looked like. The brick arch is slap bang next to the hillside and so was this part of the original structure? If the house was up nearer to Woodbank Crescent then how on earth did you access it from Chesterfield road or has there been an awful lot of landfill?

Any links to relevant info would be appreciated as for the umpteenth time I'm off to scan google.

Do you mean the area that you can access from Woodbank Crescent? If so, iirc, it was given a bit of a facelift by local residents and made into a little communal garden area a few years ago.

I'm not actually sure if it's on the site of what was 'Mulligan's Mansions', or on the site that had a sort of gateway in the wall but never actually had a house built there in the end?

Yes I do mean that bit of land Ruby, up to about ten years ago it was just a bit of overgrown wilderness and then it was cleared , a path and steps were installed and I think the bench and the viewing point were put into place.

I trundle up or down the flight of stone steps that go up the hill there and sometimes even sit at the viewing point so I see things altering. The area is being maintained by some-one as rubbish is removed and I've seen some people cutting back vegetation although I'm not sure who sorts that out.

So I'm still wondering what that brick archway was for and as I've poked around a bit the 'house' idea seems unlikely as there don't seem to be any other building remains, the archway seems to be the only thing there and it is in very good condition.