Weird brick structure...

Looking on Google Earth at this place & there is a "pointer" accross from Woodbank Crescent stating there was a subway there once ...that went across the main road into Woodbank Crescent.....thats all it says

this refers to the large pipe ont he other side of cheterfield road if you look over the wall there is a 36 inch or 48 inch seweage pipe that goes on to what I believe is little london road nothing at al to do with the house that was built on the banking.

to wallbuilder the house was there I used to go in the house when it was occupied as a child I used to play with the other kids that lived there at the time.

above where the archway is bricked up was a patio area approx six yards wide that extended the width of the house and the house was set back approx 5 or 6 yards

it was three storeys high and also had two old fashioned type dormer windows one on either side of the house. it was all built of red brick and it really was a imposing sight even though it was almost derelict. I lived approx 800 yards from the house from 1942 to 1961 to be exact I lived at 573 chesterfield road for the first 19 years of my life and so I beleieve it puts me in a position to comment as to wat was there at the time

I'd still be interested to see a picture [if one exists] of the house. When the house was demolished why was the archway bit left and how did it fit in with the rest of the structure as it looks like the archway is flush to the hillside. I've put a link to the thing on the other thread started in the history section.

The Friends of Woodbank Crescent came together to create what's called Woodbank Crescent Community Garden. About 9 years ago, Andy Kershaw of BBC Radio Sheffield fame was involved.

I live nearby and pop down occasionally, have seen that it is maintained more or less regularly, but I have no idea by whom, if it's still the community group, or how to contact them.

• 3 years later...

Where the steps are used to be a quarry,if I have the right place,it's where Homebase etc is biult, we were forbidden to go near it as kids,because it was considered so dangerous, it was filled with water, so of course it became one of our favourite playgrounds

• 5 years later...

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me dragging up an old thread but hopefully it is useful.

Going through my deceased father's things I came across an old photo with "Mulligan's Mansions 1950" written on the back. This wasn't familiar to me so a search brought me here.

http://www.strathblanefield.org.uk/mulligans%20mansions%201950.jpg

From the description above, it sounds like the same place.

It is intriguing to me as we have a family mystery which my Aunt posted about a few years ago - http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=832178&highlight=gladys+stannington Perhaps Gladys came from Mulligan's Mansions?

We have no Sheffield connections otherwise.

I used to pass this place all the time and often wondered what this strange structure is. So one day a few years ago I had a closer look like people have said it is brick built with an blocked up arch. At the time some off the brickwork had fallen in so could see inside it was filled up with soil their was steel beams supporting the roof at one side their was a doorway into a small space not big. From the outside doesn't look that big but inside went a fair in into the hillside. Was this once a doorway into the house but looking at the site which is quite steep the building would need deep foundation a very odd place.

Do you mean this: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3524174,-1.4817021,3a,75y,68.51h,96.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snunlmkMFhG8yYWi1jtv7BA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Looking back through previous streetview images you get this one:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.352443,-1.4817054,3a,75y,64.4h,95.08t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sZa-lUSRnsGj624_igy6EQQ!2e0!5s20111001T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Bit clearer what you are talking about now! They've obviously let it go back to "nature"

Edited by TimmyR

in the late fifties it was the home of the battersby family, they were not related to another family of the same name who lived on millmount rd.i went to meersbrook bank school with their daughter not sure of her name now could have been pat.

---------- Post added 04-05-2017 at 12:12 ----------

Where the steps are used to be a quarry,if I have the right place,it's where Homebase etc is biult, we were forbidden to go near it as kids,because it was considered so dangerous, it was filled with water, so of course it became one of our favourite playgrounds

a lad from binfield rd was killed falling from the cliff in the early sixties.

---------- Post added 04-05-2017 at 12:14 ----------

I've just done a quick google search and found nothing relevant. I can see in the wall there is what looks like a gate opening but can't picture what the rest of the building must of looked like. The brick arch is slap bang next to the hillside and so was this part of the original structure? If the house was up nearer to Woodbank Crescent then how on earth did you access it from Chesterfield road or has there been an awful lot of landfill?

Any links to relevant info would be appreciated as for the umpteenth time I'm off to scan google.

the house was built on the viewing platform so it was well down the bank