Weird brick structure...

just remembered something else about the building, the semi highest up the hill, had a very large open topped water tank on the roof at the back it may have been used as a header tank for some reason.

349 Chesterfield Road was the home of Lewis Connelly, "slaterer and plasterer", who was made bankrupt in 1925 (see London Gazette, 25 August 1925: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/33078/page/5676/data.pdf, according to which he was "Lately residing at and carrying on business at 41 Fieldhead Road."

In the early 1920s it seems to have been the home of Ethel Wragg (a library assistant who appears in the Library Association Record at this address in 1922), and her older sisters Dorothy and Nellie Wragg (the former listed in White's Directory of Sheffield 1919-1920 as a dress maker, and the latter as a milliner).

At the time of the 1911 census, all three sisters were living at 292 Albert Road, then home to William Henry Wragg (the sporting knife cutler, then aged 52), his wife Sarah Ann (also 52), and his sister Kate Wragg (a music teacher, aged 47). Dorothy was then aged 28 and listed as a dressmaker, and Nellie was aged 25, no trade listed. Ethel was 13 and at school. Other siblings were Alice, a teacher then aged 27; Harry, then a 19 year old apprentice engineer; Eva, then 17 and a bookkeeper; Kate (15) and Hubert (9), both at school. Dorothy died in 1955.

I haven't traced the family any further, and I don't know who else, if anyone, was at 349 c.1920-1922. However, the 1948 electoral register has Dorothy, Nellie, Kate and Ethel all living at 2 Fitzwilliam Street, Wath Upon Dearne. And they were all still there in 1952.

351 Chesterfield Road was the address of Charles Black c.1905. According to various medical directories, he was a member of the Royal College of Surgeons and of the Royal College of Physicians, having qualified in 1897. He was resident medical officer at the hospital at Weston Super Mare, and the same at Firvale Union Infirmary. He was also ships surgeon of ss. Jerome at some point between 1900 and 1905. c.1899/1900, directories put him at 32 Sedan Street, Then he goes to 351 Chesterfield Road, and by 1911 he was at 656 Chesterfield Road, and he was definitely still there in 1943. He died on 17 June 1947, aged about 75, leaving over £21K. I don't know when he moved.

White's Directory has Arthur Lee Jnr, a pattern maker, living at 351 c 1919-1920. Presumably this would be one of the sons of Arthur Lee & Sons.

I haven't gone any further yet, just thought it would be interesting to record this for now.

Edited by Dannyno

351 Chesterfield Road was the address of Charles Black c.1905. According to various medical directories, he was a member of the Royal College of Surgeons and of the Royal College of Physicians, having qualified in 1897. He was resident medical officer at the hospital at Weston Super Mare, and the same at Firvale Union Infirmary. He was also ships surgeon of ss. Jerome at some point between 1900 and 1905. c.1899/1900, directories put him at 32 Sedan Street, Then he goes to 351 Chesterfield Road, and by 1911 he was at 656 Chesterfield Road, and he was definitely still there in 1943. He died on 17 June 1947, aged about 75, leaving over £21K. I don't know when he moved.

£21k was a tidy sum in 1947. I lived five doors down from Doctor Black's house in Sedan Street in the 50s and I reckon he would have been able to go back and buy most of the street. :)

£21k was a tidy sum in 1947. I lived five doors down from Doctor Black's house in Sedan Street in the 50s and I reckon he would have been able to go back and buy most of the street. :)

£1,312,753.0 is the amount that shows on the Bank of England inflation checker (2016)