Sheffield Steam Sheds Article in Steam Day Magazine

bus man

Indeed, the Jubilees were the "cream" of the express passenger locos that we saw in Sheffield until about 1961 when some Scots and Patriots were displaced by diesels on the West Coast main line etc. There was also the "Waverley" which in the early 1960s we used to see after school. It ran from Edinburgh to London via Carlisle, and the up train must have called at Sheffield between about 4-30 and 5 pm, but there is no mention of it in the 1954 timetable - maybe it didn't begin to run until later.

• 3 months later...

These Were A Common Sight On The Ex Lms Line To Sheffield Which Went Between Eckington And Renishaw. I Spent Many Hours During My Childhood Alternating Between This Line And The Ex Gc Line To Marylebone. I Always Used To Watch The Master Cutler On Its Way To London In The Morning Usually Headed By An A3.

Welcome to the forum, mozzie! Indeed the LMS line near Eckington was a good place for spotting locos. Old-time railwaymen used to refer to it as the "Old Road" as it was the route of the North Midland line from Derby to Leeds, before Bradway Tunnel allowed LMS services to pass through Sheffield. The Master Cutler was usually an A3 (60102 Sir Frederick Banbury was a "regular" on the service). Very occasionally they would turn out a V2 or even a B1. Living in Hillsborough I only rarely ventured to the Eckington/Renishaw/Killamarsh area, but I do remember one summer Saturday in 1962 when I went by train to stay with relatives in Lincoln. The route via Retford must have been very busy, as the B1-hauled train went via Killamarsh and then on to Warsop and Edwinstowe, crossing the Trent at Tuxford and then into Lincoln via Skellingthorpe. Within a few years, most of this route was closed.

Sorry this isnt a jubillee :

COMPACT1426.jpg

thought you would enjoy it , it was taken last sunday evening at around 2130 hours so there wasnt a lot of light. It was working Keighley - Stockport vie hope valley to celebrate the 40th aniversary of the K.W.V.R.

SORRY TECHNICAL PROBLEM CANT PROVIDE LINK

Sorry that this is not a jubillee

COMPACT1426.jpg

However, thought some of you may enjoy it , it was last sunday at heelly loop the light was a low as it was around 930am and the loco was slipping like hell.

Nice pictures, bus man! I might well have copped the Black 5... I remember those steps very well; somehow I usually only went down them - my departure from the shed was normally past the coaling plant and along the track to Millhouses & Ecclesall station, often with an irate foreman in hot pursuit...

I'm only sorry I didn't have a camera in those days, but the memories are crystal clear - copping Clan Stewart and Achilles (both ex-Polmadie) on the Night Scotsman, cabbing 43032 in steam thanks to a friendly driver, watching 41209 have a minor overhaul and being given the technical details by the fitter, etc. etc.

Very enjoyable reading this thread. I often ask myself why I spent so much time on those steps at Archer Road, even on very warm summer days in the 6 weeks holiday. Use to catch the tram up from Highfields, probably 1 or 2 old pence.

4 tracks then, up and down Mancs, up and down London. Semaphore signals and no continuous welded rails. Always plenty of activity and the expectation of seeing a loco away from its usual locations. On some very rare occasions a Beyer Garratt would come through and they were a very impressive looking machine. I would go up to the shop on the corner of Archer Rd and Ulverston Rd for a penny lolly, or climb over the wall where the metal steps go down the bank on the Sheaf Valley Walk and swing on a tree rope fastened up by the local kids.

There is an S&T pole still in situ at the top of those steps, which will probably fall over before someone decides to remove it.

The only names I remember from those days ( late 50's ) would be Howard Alcock and a lad with the surname Hawksworth. Eh, what garbage we store in the depths of our mind.

That name Alcock has a ring to it. I can remember Peter Fox who now has a transport role, I believe. There was a lad called Scholey who like myself also collected autographs. Howard Roney of the butchers was a collector. One of my mates with bikes was Lance Bridge who sadly died a few years ago. Then there were two other lads; Megson, a Wednesdayite who went to Rowlinson and Wild of Abbeydale Boys.

I honestly wouldn't have recognised the steps of about 45 years ago when Guylee's was adjacent to them. If it rained, we went under the steps.

Archer Road and St. James's Bridge at Doncaster - what thrills!