Sheffield Steam Sheds Article in Steam Day Magazine

bus man

Smallish world hillsbro no? I was Colin's regular mate for a while back about '54. I can't remember what link we were in but we'd get to Gowholes in the Chinley/New Mills area quite often, football specials, light engines from sheds in the Manchester area etc. We didn't have a lot to say to each other, just got on with the job. He had a dry sense of humor if I remember right. Thinking about it he could be quite funny.

Smallish world hillsbro no? I was Colin's regular mate for a while back about '54. I can't remember what link we were in but we'd get to Gowholes in the Chinley/New Mills area quite often, football specials, light engines from sheds in the Manchester area etc. We didn't have a lot to say to each other, just got on with the job. He had a dry sense of humor if I remember right. Thinking about it he could be quite funny.

A dry sense of humour - that sounds like the Colin I remember! He could be a "man of few words" but if you got him talking about something he was interested in, it was surprising how much he knew about all kinds of subjects. He was a contemporary of our neighbour Reggie Binks and they knew each other, though Reggie was an ex-LNER driver from Darnall shed.

Good evening Chairboy and thanks for that !

No problem Sir but I point out that my interest in railways finished 44 years ago! I love the nostalgia but that's as far as it goes. Spent most of my life working in 'communications' so pleased to be of help.

Charlie Foster from Gleadless ran The Hallamshire Railway Society. In 1962 I wrote a letter applying to join, and one evening there was a knock at my front door - it was Charlie and Raymond Jackson, they’d come to vet me! Charlie is currently in a rest home in Gleadless, Sheffield.

An earlier thread mentions travelling from Sheffield to Bakewell on a bus and spending the day trainspotting on a nearby bridge on a hot sunny summer day with friends Howard & Ivo. I remember doing that and my name is Howard, so maybe that was me. I can’t recall who I went with though. I do remember the sole reason for going there was to see the Co-Bo Metrovic diesels on the special workings they had on that line, we did see a couple, and I remember being singularly unimpressed.

I lived a mile from Millhouses shed, and spent a great deal of my time by the lineside. I’m glad someone else refers to Black 5s as ‘mickeys’, I’ve never heard the name used outside the area.

Unusual locos I saw at Millhouses were V2 60835 Green Howards and A2 60516 Hycilla presumably off trains from the north east where they were based. Most unusual was another NE one, streamlined A4 60018 Sparrow Hawk passing Millhouses Park light engine, very strange as the park was south of the shed so it wasn’t as if it had come in from Doncaster. I do recall it was on a Saturday morning because I’d just got my grandma to take me, for the first time, to see a white haired old man who we knew around junior school as Mr Knight and who sold wild birds eggs from his house on Abbeydale Road South, just across from the park. That must have been 1957/58.

A couple of years later when the Royal Scots, Rebuilt Patriots and Britannias arrived on the Midland Main Line life was great. To see a Scot working hard on the 1/100 gradiant out of Sheffield, coming round the curve at Norton Hammer and into view from the Archer Road bridge, with its distinctive curved smoke deflectors, is a sight I’ll never forget.

In the twilight of steam, in 1965 I travelled to Scotland for three days armed with sandwiches, a 35mm SLR and an 8mm cine camera. I spent the first night on Carlisle station and the second night keeping toasty warm in the cab of ‘Union of South Africa’ on Aberdeen Ferryhill shed, the A4 was being prepared for the 7.30am 3-hour express to Glasgow! Now you tell that to the kids of today............

Good call Steelyblade. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if our paths crossed in the early 60s? I remember seeing "Green Howards" at Millhouses. I am delighted that someone also recalls Charlie Foster and glad to hear he is still with us. I think that man deserves a lot of praise for his organising of trips and giving much pleasure to the youth of then, via his well-managed society. I forget to say in an earlier thread that some members journeyed down from Glasgow to be part of the Society leaving LMS station at midnight for a Southern foray! I wonder how many hours were spent at Archer Road by Guylees or under the steps when it was raining?

When we played football in Millhouses Park, the game stopped as soon as a rumble was heard in the distance.