Sheffield Steam Sheds Article in Steam Day Magazine

bus man

Is the curve still in situ from the Sheffield - Rotherham line onto the Old Road and if so is it still in use ?

The curve just south of the old Masbrough station, which formed a short spur linking the Sheffield-Rotherham line with the Old Road is not there any more. The "new" connection to the re-born Rotherham Central station leaves the Sheffield line at about the same point where the old spur left it.

Incidentally, many years ago when Bradway Tunnel was under repair (often on winter Sundays) the diverted trains northbound from Chesterfield didn't always leave the Old Road at Woodhouse Mill and approach Nunnery from Darnall as they do now. They would go further north before turning west along the old Sheffield District Railway, passing Tinsley yard. A third way for them to leave the Old Road was of course the spur at Rotherham.

I remember one occasion when some young lads from Treeton realised that the diverted train was near to where they lived, and as it was travelling slowly they opened a carriage door and jumped out. Unfortunately one of them rolled back and lost both his legs under the train wheels...

For The Record:

From platform 1 to down main , Nunnery Main Line Jn, Nunnery Curve then up worksop line: woodburn junction, darnall station, woodhouse station, woodhouse jn beighton engineering sidings, Beighton Station Jn, Beighton Jn (now known as up barrow hill) , junction to bolsover , barrow hill sidings

Return to

Beighton Jn , under the beighton to worksop line, woodhouse mill jn , treeton jn - removed was access to tinsley , treeton north jn remoeved, under M1, Masborough sorting sidings, ickles viaduct , over freight line to rotherham central, over holmes curve, over access to cf booth, through masborugh station - closed access to main line

Records from quail track diagrams 2 eastern

There was a colour slide of an A1 at Sheffield Midland in BR days for sale on ebay about a year ago, it was on a stopping train from Nottingham and the photographer had travelled on the train, circa 1962.

A4s were rare visitors too. Modern Railways (previously Trains Illustrated) has a picture of A4 60021 Wild Swan entering the station on a Newcastle-Bristol train on October 9 1963, it reportedly worked as far as Derby (vol. Dec. 1963 p.421/3). They described the event as 'unprecedented'.

I saw A4 Sparrow Hawk passing Millhouses Park light engine in the late fifties - so thanks for the mention of NE based locos going up to the triangle at Dore & Totley to turn, that explains the sighting, a mystery solved!

After Millhouses shed closed in December 1961 quite few A1s and A3s worked through Sheffield on North East to South West trains. I presume they usually changed locos at Derby although there were some reports of them working through to Birmingham New St. The bad winter of 62/63 produced quite a number of these workings.

Good morning ' Anoracks ' and a big thank you to bus man for his info re ' Tornado ' arriving in Sheffield last night. Amazed at the number of folks there, yes, nostalgia is still alive and lets hope it continues.

What a stirring sight that was of a magnificent looking beast of a steam loco coming into platform 1 ! An initial smile at the sight of a web address on the side of a loco tender.

The sound of the whistle and those blasts of steam, what memories.

From memory I can't remember an A1 ever coming into the Midland. Confirmation please from someone. I saw a number of V2's coming off the York - Bristol, which then went light engine up to Totley Cutting for reversal.

Had the wife with me and couldn't get her to understand that after arrival at Barrow Hill, the engine would be taken off to proceed out front first !

A question please which arose when I was explaining to the wife how the Tornado would get from the Midland to Barrow Hill and then back towards Rotherham.

Is the curve still in situ from the Sheffield - Rotherham line onto the Old Road and if so is it still in use ?

Evening anoraks the following pictures will almost certainly cause some of you to spill your dandelion and burdock out and possibly choke on your spangles or drop your ABC into a puddle

PHOTO A

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/?action=view&current=COMPACT3182.jpg

PHOTO B

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/?action=view&current=COMPACT3184.jpg

PHOTO C

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/?action=view&current=COMPACT3190.jpg

PHOTO D

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/?action=view&current=COMPACT3186.jpg

PHOTO E

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/?action=view&current=COMPACT3173.jpg

Suspect you will be able to caption the photos as you will know what the bits are photo E is next to the steps from the south end of archer road next to guylees old building

My goodness - it's enough to make you cry into your Lyons fruit pie (they cost 8d from the "refreshment rooms" and made a good dessert after your mum's egg sandwiches were retrieved from the duffel bag). As it happens, this afternoon Mrs hillsbro and I walked from Sainsbury's along Archer Road to Abbeydale Road, and I was explaining to her about the old Millhouses & Ecclesall station, and where the shed was. She seemed to be interested (bless her; she's a good lass) but I was in a different world, where an ex-L.M.S. tank engine on a local train from Chinley would arrive at Platform 1 at the station and three or four boys in short trousers (fresh from copping a "Clan" on the "Night Sleeper" working) would climb into one of the ex-London surburban coaches for their 3d. ride into Sheffield Midland...

Evening Anoracks, the memories keep flowing.

I can laugh about it now. As a youngster, used to go to Archer Rd on a Sunday and wonder why on earth nothing ran on the up and down London, then someone told little innocent me that engineering work on Sundays diverted traffic on to the Old Road.

Amazing how word got round on a Sunday morning about the appearance of a Clan or whatever from the night sleeper on Millhouses Shed.

Loved to see a Beyer Garrat on the Totley cutting, pulling what seemed like a mile of trucks.

Vaguely remember seeing what must have been green coloured Southern stock at the Victoria and where on earth did those strange loco names such as Mons and Zeebrugge come from.

The magic of Crewe, all those what seemed like giant locos and by heck one of them was called City of Sheffield.

Spotting at Blast lane with a choice of locos from 2 regions.

Catching the train from Heeley with my Dad to see the Blades play at Barnsley and Huddersfield.

Coming home from Bolton after seeing the Blades win in the cup and delayed at Manchester for 2 hours whilst they changed from steam to electric.

Going to Bury to see the Blades and delayed for an hour at Totley. When we got to Bury, everyone running through the streets and we still missed most of the first half.

Come on lads, some memories from what I have just mentioned.

"Vaguely remember seeing what must have been green coloured Southern stock at the Victoria and where on earth did those strange loco names such as Mons and Zeebrugge come from?" - Asks Runningman.

Somme, Jutland, Ypres, Marne et al - WW1 sites methinks.