Sheffield Steam Sheds Article in Steam Day Magazine

bus man

Yes - those leather straps. You can see them on a dozen preserved lines up and down the country. Release the strap, let the window fall down a few holes on the strap, lean out and smell the smoke! But watch out for tunnels...

Bitte nicht hinauslehnen! I remember arching my hand, like a cupped blinker, to have a peep down the line. When you got a speck in your eye, it felt like a lump. It seems that we've all been there?

Not sure if this has previously been touched upon? Seeing 45609 Gilbert and Ellice Islands reminded me of 45610 Gold Coast which had its named changed to Ghana at Midland Station, one Saturday morning about 11am if I recall correctly? Did anybody else go to that ceremony? Year anyone?

Na den oldrowley !

Came on the PC tonight to do some work and finished up spending ages looking at those marvellous Jubilee photos !!

Thanks for that, what memories.

Interested to see that Galatea is being restored. Looks a long way off completion, anyone with knowledge of what is happening to her and when she is likely to be in steam again.

Bitte nicht hinauslehnen! I remember arching my hand, like a cupped blinker, to have a peep down the line. When you got a speck in your eye, it felt like a lump. It seems that we've all been there?

... and "Ne pas se pencher au dehors", "E pericoloso sporgersi..." - yes, we've all been there! To say nothing of "no drinking water" - this slightly-incorrect English form, a too-direct translation of Kein Trinkwasser, survived for several decades on post-war German trains.

I did sometimes lean out of a window in a tunnel (Woodhead for example) but, in this regard, it's a good thing I can read French. Travelling from Brive-la-Gaillarde to Limoges in September 1977, I took the trouble to read a notice chalked (in ultra-polite terms, addressing Messieurs les voyageurs...) on a board at Brive station. It warned passengers not to lean out of the window when going through the tunnel just south of Limoges station. I found out why when my train entered the tunnel - I gingerly peered through an open window and saw something like steel scaffolding lining the tunnel, which seemed to come within a few inches of the train.

Nowadays we ride in sealed trains in air-conditioned comfort (assuming the air-conditioning is working). Leaning out of the window was a form of mischief that was part of a trainspotting trip in the 1950s/60s. Also, you could see the signals and maybe analyse what had gone wrong if the train was delayed.

The old days...

Not sure if this has previously been touched upon? Seeing 45609 Gilbert and Ellice Islands reminded me of 45610 Gold Coast which had its named changed to Ghana at Midland Station, one Saturday morning about 11am if I recall correctly? Did anybody else go to that ceremony? Year anyone?

See post #18. If they were prompt in renaming 45610, the year would have been 1957. At least, that is when the Gold Coast became independent as Ghana (as any stamp collector knows!)

On a DMU heading for a days spotting at Doncaster, driving rain. See who can stand it longest went the challenge. I finally gave up to find the others, dry as a bone standing behind me laughing. Still, past Conisborough and we'll soon be looking for the first siting of the "stand by" and a day's real spotting. A4s,1s,2 and 3s, V2s and all the other classes. Oh, and the original Deltic. A visit to the works gate a climb on someone's bike to peer over the wall. A while on Jimmy's bridge and bunk the shed. The Elizabethan, The Flying Scotsman, Talisman, Tees Tyne Pullman, Queen of Scots, Yorkshire Pullman, Fred Olsen Lines, Anglo Scottish Car Carrier,the plant stream. Those were the days! My first streak 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley, my second 60030 Golden Fleece(I still have my Hornbytwo rail model from the Talisman set). The last streak I copped, 60004 William Whitelaw, ex-works on a running in turn arriving from Leeds and later to haul me back to Victoria on the evening Hull- Liverpool.

Memories!

I also saw a streak in Midland on the York- Bristol working one evening. I sure it wasn't Wild Swan, my memory suggest 60010 Dominion of Canada or 60012 Commonwealth of Australia.

The Scots started to appear in Sheffield soon after I had started spotting, but there were some unrebuilt Pats working from Bristol prior to this and were regularly seen, often double heading with Black Fives or Jubs on the heavy summer trains from the South West. 45504 Royal Signals, 45506 The Royal Pioneer Corps and 45519 Lady Godiva were at Bristol Barrow Rd in 1958.

Thanks for the Jubilee link Oldrowley, I have printed a copy of the Millhouses photo of Gilbert and Ellis Islands and it now pinned on my notice board.

Na den oldrowley !

Came on the PC tonight to do some work and finished up spending ages looking at those marvellous Jubilee photos !!

Thanks for that, what memories.

Interested to see that Galatea is being restored. Looks a long way off completion, anyone with knowledge of what is happening to her and when she is likely to be in steam again.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures Runningman. If you go to the following link relating to the West Coast Railway open day at Carnforth this year and scroll down, you will come to some pics of Galatea under restoration (These may well be the same ones as on the Jubilee site). The photographer suggests it will be two years at least before steams again. There are other superb photos of the open day to look at of course.

http://john-robinson.fotopic.net/c1551456.html

On a DMU heading for a days spotting at Doncaster, driving rain. See who can stand it longest went the challenge. I finally gave up to find the others, dry as a bone standing behind me laughing. Still, past Conisborough and we'll soon be looking for the first siting of the "stand by" and a day's real spotting. A4s,1s,2 and 3s, V2s and all the other classes. Oh, and the original Deltic. A visit to the works gate a climb on someone's bike to peer over the wall. A while on Jimmy's bridge and bunk the shed. The Elizabethan, The Flying Scotsman, Talisman, Tees Tyne Pullman, Queen of Scots, Yorkshire Pullman, Fred Olsen Lines, Anglo Scottish Car Carrier,the plant stream. Those were the days! My first streak 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley, my second 60030 Golden Fleece(I still have my Hornbytwo rail model from the Talisman set). The last streak I copped, 60004 William Whitelaw, ex-works on a running in turn arriving from Leeds and later to haul me back to Victoria on the evening Hull- Liverpool.

Memories!

"Stand by", I'd forgotten about that. Two other trains to add to your list, The Aberdonian and The White Rose. The latter departed from Doncaster, southbound, about fifteen minutes before the Sheffield train and it was always chaotic on the platform with wedding parties showering confetti.

I think the Aberdonian hurtled down the middle line - no stopping.

... we didn't call it Gilbert and Lettuce Islands cos I was at King Ted's!

My pals (Chris Gilson, Paul Jeffries, Irving Smith) and I were at King Ted's as well. I'm sure we lowered the tone of this distinguished institution...

My pals (Chris Gilson, Paul Jeffries, Irving Smith) and I were at King Ted's as well. I'm sure we lowered the tone of this distinguished institution...

You guys would be 1959 intake then? We are well represented - Michael G would be 1954 I think and I was 1953.Was Fat Nat still in charge in your day?

Please excuse 'off topic' subject folks.