Sheffield Steam Sheds Article in Steam Day Magazine

bus man

That was a good idea - forming a society so as to apply for permits. Some of us at King Ted's were members of the Warwickshire Railway Society, which offered some good shed tours - I remember a trip to the South Wales sheds (Canton, Radyr, Ebbw Junction, Pontypool Road, Severn Tunnel Junction etc.) in November 1965 and a long weekend to Scotland in 1966, staying two nights in a fleapit in Glasgow (but it was handy for Pollockshields East station).

I remember that individuals could "do" Crewe Works by applying in advance and making a small donation to the Crewe Railway Charity Fund. I know Irving Smith well; apart from being in the same form at KES we are both HSBC retirees and he lives near me in Wadsley. I remember one memorable day trip to Crewe in 1961 - Irving Smith, Alan Siddall, Tich Taylor and me. Lots of good locos; the only one that all four of us copped was 46230 Duchess of Buccleuch on the down Royal Scot. Wonderful.

Another tour I went on with John Laver was, a Clan hauled tour organised by one of the national societies (probably SLS) visiting Wolverhampton, Stafford and Crewe, double headed with a Hall for part of the trip. I have somewhere a photo of a line of Kings in store at Stafford Road. Someone else may remember more detail, but I do recall that we were shuttled from Midland to Rotherham Masborough by DMU and the tour took the back road direct to Chesterfield, the only time I have travelled that route in its entirety. The name Alan Siddall rings a bell, I think he probably joined us at St Mary's. Did he join the Merchant Navy?

Ive looked at

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/

from 1950 - 1968 at all the SLS tours but cant find one to match the above if anyone else want to try then please do so the site doesnt have as far as i can see a search facility which is a pity..

The tour around the 27th Sep 1963 to the north east looks interersting

Quite right - many people refer to ferroequinologists, but thereby hangs a tale.... We decided that, as the suffix -ology refers to "a study of", it was more logical to study a noun rather than an adjective, that is a "ferro-equus" rather than a "ferro-equinus", the latter term being somewhat adjectival...:P....I seem to recall that someone (it was probably "Tich" Taylor) opined that, as there is more to trainspotting than "iron horses", it might be better to us an all-encompassing, adjectival form. We didn't talk to him all the way to York and most of the way back... Someone actually thought of asking the venerable Dr Jameson about this, but we knew only too well that he didn't approve of adding Greek suffixes to Latin roots. We also remembered only too well his lengthy assertion that, according to the rules of classical Greek, a stamp collector should be an atelophilist rather than a philatelist...

I suppose to be strictly faithful to Latin, the term ferroequindiscipulus might be used.

It's almost as long as the station sign at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobyllllantisilogogogoch.

I suppose to be strictly faithful to Latin, the term ferroequindiscipulus might be used.

It's almost as long as the station sign at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobyllllantisilogogogoch.

Yes indeed! It's a pity that there isn't a station at Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu (that's my "party piece" when in the Antipodes...).:)

I just learned that the Forum has a limit of 50 letters per word (hence the unintentioned space after "...tisilog"* and "...piki") You live and learn!.:cool:

* at risk of being ultra-pedantic, it should be "...tisiliog"

Thanks Bus Man you pointed me in the right direction. The tour in question was in fact the 24th March 1963, Derbyshire Railway Society, Clan - King - Hall Railtour

Having been postponed from 27th January 1963 Kings were no longer available so the itinery was:-

Loco(s) Route

72008 Leeds City - Rotherham - Sheffield (omitted) - Derby - Bordesley Jn - Tyseley

7929 + 72008 Tyseley - Oxley (2)

7929 +? 72008 Oxley - ?Wellington - Market Drayton - Nantwich? - Crewe

47??? Crewe - Crewe Works

??? Crewe Works - Crewe

72008 Crewe - Derby - Rotherham - Leeds City

GENTLEMEN

the following link

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=4951&st=0entry28610

takes you into the sheffield history fourm and shows a photo which shows two lads trainspotting at what they believe is nunnery .

Unfortunatley to see the photo you will have to register with sheffield forum however, it could bring back some memories to some of you. You never know it may be someone on here

GENTLEMEN

the following link

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=4951&st=0entry28610

takes you into the sheffield history fourm and shows a photo which shows two lads trainspotting at what they believe is nunnery .

Unfortunatley to see the photo you will have to register with sheffield forum however, it could bring back some memories to some of you. You never know it may be someone on here[/quote

Hi Busman,

The link direct is

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/v01883.jpg

(I am told we should use the link rather than the photo for copyright reasons)