Sheffield Steam Sheds Article in Steam Day Magazine

bus man

Evening Gentlemen

While out yesterday I took this:

COMPACT3640.jpg

while I appreciate it is too modern for a lot of you however , if you look at it you see the remains of the hight speed tunnel to get to the fast lines , no doubt some of you will remember it in its glory days

Good evening to you bus man. Nice picture and interesting to see the exit of the former dive under which brought the down London line across to gain access to Platform 1 in the Midland Station. I believe there was a 25mph limit in the dive under but am open to correction here.

Yes - that rings a bell; I'm sure you are right about the 25 mph limit. I also remember the late Professor Bill Tuplin (1902-1975) telling me that in regard to the arrangement of up and down lines, this single-tunnel crossover was unique on British Rail.

Talking about Millhouses shed. a reminder please, its a long time back. Were there allotments situated near the turntable, I think there was, as a guy ( Dick Applegate, ex Br track worker who was injured by a detonator ) who was the Father of a pal of mine used to access his allotment from the steps off Archer Road.

Who owned the allotments and where exactly were they situated in relation to the Tesco building ?

Talking about Millhouses shed. a reminder please, its a long time back. Were there allotments situated near the turntable, I think there was, as a guy ( Dick Applegate, ex Br track worker who was injured by a detonator ) who was the Father of a pal of mine used to access his allotment from the steps off Archer Road.

Who owned the allotments and where exactly were they situated in relation to the Tesco building ?

I don't remember the allotments but as the turntable and railway land was all on the south east side of River Sheaf, it stands to reason that any allotments with access from Archer Rd would be between the Sheaf and the properties on the end of Archer Rd i.e the NatWest Bank and others. The satellite view from Google maps shows what appears to be a small trading development with parking spaces in the likely place. If I remember rightly, there was a public lavatory on that side of the road (opposite the old Police Station which became the park keeper's lodge. Great memories of creating havoc for the parkie Joe Andrews!). There were bus stops for the 74 Greystones Norton bus service also on this section.

I have a copy of this excellent book. Most of the photographs are taken south of Sheffield but that suits me fine as I lived in Beauchief at the time. It reminds me how lucky I was. My "territory" was from Archer Road north to the "cutting" at Dore and Totley.This included Millhouses shed, Milhouses Park, Hutcliffe Woods, Beauchief Gardens, the wood between Beauchief golf course and the railway, and the "triangle" at Dore and Totley. Other attractions for kids, though not adjacent to the railway, were the allotments at the top of Hutcliffe Wood Road, Graves Park, the ponds at Beauchief Abbey, and Ecclesall woods. We were never bored!

Hi leswpotter

My territory too. Wonderful early memories.

I also have a book 'North Midland' by Bob Pixton by Runpast Publishing. It is a three-parter and the volume (Part 2) covering Chesterfield-Sheffield-Rotherham is most pertinent to our old area. There are excellent pictures, the majority of which are new to me. The ISBN is

1 870754 51 4. The other volumes are Derby to Chesterfield and Rotherham to Leeds. All highly recommended.

Being a 1953 entrant to KES, I have looked at the 1950 entry photos on the web site and note that you likely encountered the very 'original' Miss Knight. She had moved on by 1953. I also noted Roger Turton and David Store both of whom I worked with in later days, Bryan Morgan who lived quite near me and Terry Ellin who is very involved with bus preservation with the Bus Museum now at Aldwarke.

Hi OLDROWLEY,

I also have all 3 volumes of "North Midland". Excellent books. I do remember Miss Knight but I was never taught by her. I was taught by another lady teacher, Miss Manners (I think) for maths (I think), but they both left within 2 or 3 years and it was all male teachers after that.

I cannot remember any allotments beng there in the early 50's but the land around the turntable and between the River Sheaf and the shed's running lines were fairly overgrown. Perhaps some parts of this overgrown land were turned into vegetable plots by enterprising raiwaymen.